Opinions Please!! ... Re - Earthing... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Opinions Please!! ... Re - Earthing... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

ukpita

Been called to a property today as cust has had her house rewired by a cowboy (issued a paper NICEIC cert, couldnt/didnt actually reg the job as wasnt even reg with them etc...).. Loads of things wrong, however a couple of items I would like a 2nd opinion on 2 points please as not 100% certain.. (Think I am right but cant actually find a reg to support??). Want to make sure 100% as cust and NICEIC will be trying to take action against last so called sparky.

1. Shouldnt Earth electrode/clamp have a cover box to protect connection/warning label (Earth electrode is currently installed under lounge carpet (Wedge of concrete taken out and underlay/carpet layed straight on top of). Surely this is not bloody allowed..

2. Also Shouldnt Main Earthing conductor run directly from electrode to either MET block/Consumer unit? (Currently conductor comes from earth electrode to gas meter then to consumer unit.. (Using main earthing conductor as bonding conductor for gas?) surely this isnt allowed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will upload pics in few days when go back, as you will not believe the state this was left in!! Bare cables all over, 8 cables into one switch etc...... some proper scary stuff!!

Can only say 1st name is Gavin cant give full name or trading name as apparently he went bankrupt in old company and restarted up in slightly different name and both cust and NICEIC are investigating at present (dont want to hinder them) just in case by any chance he was on here.. lol, but guy lives and trades in south wales...

Its only in the valleys you can get away with a rod under the lounge carpet
[ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions Please!! ... Re - Earthing...

Will you be a little braver and narrow the area down ?

By the way,chances of any action,whether by the customer or especially by the Niceic of being fruitful will probably be nill
The terrible state of the electrics wont interest the Niceic,but there is possibility that taking their name in vain may get somewhere (there's cynical I am
)

Des that is exactly true.... NICEIC apparently are only interested that he has used their logo and one of their paper forms... as regards to work they have advised customer that they will not assist as he was not registered as a member with them and she will need to make her only claim against him....

Just outside of aberdare.... true you can get away with alot in the valleys, just don`t dish their rugby team.... :laugh:

Des that is exactly true.... NICEIC apparently are only interested that he has used their logo and one of their paper forms... as regards to work they have advised customer that they will not assist as he was not registered as a member with them and she will need to make her only claim against him....

Just outside of Aberdare.... true you can get away with alot in the valleys, just don`t dish their rugby team.... :laugh:

I know one or two from the Aberdare/ Mountain Ash way
( only joking
), but these types usually do the dirty deed before their name kills them off

You didn't surprise me with the Niceic,customer would be hard pushed to get them to act even if it was a member involved,
Part p is useless and they are even more useless and culpable,they have gone from industry guardians to a clown of an organisation these last few years

thing is n all....i went up to the recent elex show in harrogate.....the whole setup was dominated by the NIC.....they had a great big arena holding seminars on basic stuff that any electrician should know......must have cost em a fortune because i knew someone there who`s organisation had bought a small stand in the tool fair area...and i mean small.....it cost em loads....

thing is n all....i went up to the recent elex show in harrogate.....the whole setup was dominated by the NIC.....they had a great big arena holding seminars on basic stuff that any electrician should know......must have cost em a fortune because i knew someone there who`s organisation had bought a small stand in the tool fair area...and i mean small.....it cost em loads....
Yes right Glenn ,I was there as well met up with Paul m,got talking to a security guard and he was telling me that the main reason they scan the badges as you go in is that the price of stands next year is affected by the number of visitors the previous year.more visitors =higher price,will agree with you,NIC had a massive stand though didn,t they.

Yes right Glenn ,I was there as well met up with Paul m,got talking to a security guard and he was telling me that the main reason they scan the badges as you go in is that the price of stands next year is affected by the number of visitors the previous year.more visitors =higher price,will agree with you,NIC had a massive stand though didn,t they.
they did and i can still hear the echo of tony cables voice in the background goin on about 100 ohms max. Ra...n all that lot.....a lot of those seminars were all about how to do an R1 R2...stuff like nullin out the test lead resistances...very important i know...but come on...i mean anyone in this trade will know about that....and how to do a Zs.....very basic.....now if they are expecting people who have turned up to a trade fair aimed primerally at electricians not to know such stuff.....then they must have a very low opinion of folk.....its contemptable really....and more than a bit insulting....

Last edited by a moderator:
they did and i can still hear the echo of tony cables voice in the background goin on about 100 ohms max. Ra...n all that lot.....a lot of those seminars were all about how to do an R1 R2...stuff like nullin out the test lead resistances...very important i know...but come on...i mean anyone in this trade will know about that....and how to do a Zs.....very basic.....now if they are expecting people who have turned up to a trade fair aimed primerally at electricians not to know such stuff.....then they must have a very low opinion of folk.....its contemptable really....and more than a bit insulting....

Obviously, they know the standard of the electricians that, they themselves are registering into there Part Pee schemes as being ''competent!!'' Which in some way's is laughable, ...if it wasn't so serious....

Reply to Opinions Please!! ... Re - Earthing... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net