Outdoor socket flush with the ground in the garden | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Outdoor socket flush with the ground in the garden in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

n180

-
Reaction score
Is there a problem with installing an outdoor IP65 socket flush with the ground, fed via SWA cable?

Are there any regs or issues I should be aware of besides the usual when installing outdoor socket on a wall? Of course, I have to make sure it's in a location where it may not easily be stepped on, or someone to trip over it.

Also, if it is to be flush with ground, should it be flush with a concrete base around it or wood, or in some other enclosure?

If you put it flush with the ground woukd you still be able to plug stuff into it? Also ip 65 is protected from low pressure jets and if it is flush with the floor it might get slightly immersed in water (no fully) if it rains hard enough or drains back up which it is not rated for. I personally would not put it flush with the ground just raise it up a bit

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks for the info guys, just saw your responses after my alst post.

Yes the immersion in water is a good point. And if the manufacturers instructions really prohibit then, I'll probably leav it.

I take it this is not a common thing to do then?

what i did when asked to fit one for a water feature was to hammer a couple of 4 ft lengths of unistrut into the ground, with a couple of cross bars sized to the double socket. then fed with SWA. socket attached to the strut with zededees and 6mm bolts.

Thanks all, thats just the sort of info I needed. I'll get something solid into the ground to act as a frame to stick socket onto vertically.

Reply to Outdoor socket flush with the ground in the garden in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net