Posting letters instead of flyers | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Posting letters instead of flyers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ASHCOLE

Just had a little brainwave driving through a suburban village I was working, would just like some feedback to see whether its a good idea or not.

Work has gone a bit quiet this month, so we planned on getting some flyers printed and go door to door. Although I hear response rate is like 1% ish. Was thinking instead, write a standard letter. Put it on company letterheaded paper and include a business card in a handwritten evelope adressed to the homeowner (missus could sit and write these). We could include an offer like "this month we are giving free safety checks to to the village of Etwall". Valid for this month only. This would be a call to action. When I say free safety checks its not to do a Mr Electric and scare old dears into having work done (before anybody starts), I just think it is a good way to picking up work. Especially in these well off areas, with big old houses. Could even offer it for something like £10 instead of free.

I worked out the cost of this would be around 10p a letter as opposed to 2p a flyer but I just think it could be a lot more affective in well off areas. What do you guys think? Any other ideas of special offers other that electrical safety checks? A call to action?

To be honest touting for work is touting for work however you describe it. Most people with regard to lectricky is it's working leave well alone, unless they are doing a specific project.

I personally would go with flyers, highlighting your services, who you are timed served if you are etc etc, and offer a discount of 10% of production of flyer and 15% to OAP

I'm not to be honest. I think the general public are more aware of flyers, they either throw them or keep in a safe place for future reference.

I'm pretty sure that 85% of flyers end up in the bin and 85% of your letters will as well. I know this because when property was booming we had letters weekly asking if we were interested in selling our house, and each one went into the bin, but I'm sure if we were interested in selling we would have kept one, and I think it will be the same.

It would help if the letter was well designed and written. The last letter we had from a local building firm, looked like it had been written by a 5 year old and had obviously been photocopied many times.
Have you tried an ad in the local paper? Place your fliers or cards in the local shops. We leave extra cards with our clients and ask them to give them to family, friends and neighbours.

Tried both methods.....and definitely a flyer (done correctly) wins hands down every time.

My flyer is an A6 postcard style, which I always give to the customer as a 'business card' also...much easier for them not to loose. Rarely give out my proper size business cards these days

Last edited:
I tryed this(Well the misses did) I live in a rural area and she typed up a very plesant letter(dropped in a card as well) and posted about 30 to local businesses.
Not had any response from it yet not to say that i wont. Iv dropped flyers every where.
I ran a ad in the local rag for 2 weeks and didnt have a call, Then today out the blue iv got a PIR off the back of it, The ad i ran was like 1 month ago so it shows ppl do write Numbers down from the paper and use them at a later date.
Offering something for free scares people lol They ll think your going to find faults to make money.

Every letter that comes through my door addressed to the homeowner goes straight in the bin unopened, along with all the charity clothes bags and takeaway menus. Similarly I have had some really urine-poor flyers from tradesmen which I don't even read, and I seem to get estate agents trying to buy the place every day. A 1% conversion rate is fairly standard for most cold sales leads whether it be over the phone, mailshot or door-to-door. You could get potential customers to keep hold of your number by putting it on something they'll keep, like a pen, mouse mat, fridge magnet, umbrella, bottle opener, torch to keep next to the consumer unit in case of a power cut etc. Depends how much you want to spend.

I am with Adam W, all mail that is either a blank envelope or The Householder gets torn in half and binned.

The odd eye catching flyer might be kept, like on I had a whilst back for carpet cleaning, I don't know where it is right now but the design I liked and was going to use it as a basis for if I ever do some.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

based on 27 (ish) years in business, I found cards the size of postcards worked better than business cards & flyers printed on paper.

Business cards being quite small get lost easily, and paper flyers tend to get treated as junk mail, whilst a postcard sized flyer printed on card tends to be kept.

I used to buy blank cards & print them myself at home, and while that is not the cheapest way of making them it did mean I could alter / update them whenever I chose & print however many I needed.

I would put one through every door in the street of where I was working & if there was a corner shop nearby, I'd ask the shopkeeper to put one in the shop window.

How much longer would it take to do this? twice as long? do you think you would get twice as much work (I would be surprised) probably better off focusing your attention on delivering twice as many leaflets.

Reply to Posting letters instead of flyers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net