Power to garrage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to garrage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sivoodoo

Hi all,

Does the SWA from the house to the garrage have to be 30mA protected?

Im thinking it does?

Regards

Si.

Brilliant. Thanks,

The only feasable place to take the power from is from the ground floor ring, so would i be correct in using a FCU spur from the ring to the swa then out to the garrage and a garage CU.
Its just for lighting and 1 socket outlet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the reason why we have rcd is to protect the cable if its not 50mm sunk etc. So using swa supersedes the rcd requirement. If you were using pvc/pvc t+e without mechanical protection the answer would be yes, rcd needed.

Brilliant. Thanks,

The only feasable place to take the power from is from the ground floor ring, so would i be correct in using a FCU spur from the ring to the swa then out to the garrage and a garage CU.

Is the ring your spurring from rcd protected?

Brilliant. Thanks,

To be honest why are you thinknig of fitting a CU there if it's just going to be a single light and a single socket. If the Ring Final Circuit is RCD protected then just fit a FCU with a 13 amp 1361 cartridge fuse into the socket in the garage and then another FCU with a 3 amp for your light

if the ring final is not RCD protected then you could fit an RCD FCU.

No RCD protection in the house.

The cu is in a tiny cupboard, no access to anything all recently boarded in and decorated! (why do people call the electrician after decorating???)

My initial design was to fit a RCD FCU spured from the ring main.

as mentioned no RCD in the house
fine, just need RCD FCU in garage. not necessary at house end and more convenient if trips when you are in the garag as it is a spur from the ring final.e. SWA must not exceed 2.5mm

Reply to Power to garrage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net