Power to the switch...... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to the switch...... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Just a quick question for my own curiosity chaps.

Is there anything wrong with running the power on a lighting circuit to the switch rather than to the rose?

I am asking because normally I would run the power to the rose and then run a t&e to the switch (brown sleeving the neutral before you pass comment :D) to create the switched line to power the luminaire(s).

But I have just run in a new lighting circuit in my flat to provide lighting to a new walk in store cupboard and also an up-lighter in the hallway (other side of same wall) and because the main power is coming from beneath the floor boards as opposed to up above the ceiling, and both lights are wall mounted, it just seemed a whole lot simpler (and used a whole lot less cable) to bring the power up to the switch connect up all neutrals and all earths with choc blocks in the back box, (not to each other!! Well I have to be so careful what I say with you lot :D) , and switch the lines through the switches (I used a double switch as opposed to one switch for each light). Then I just ran t&e up to each luminaire with the lines already switched (no need for sleeving either yay!)

Later on I will be extending the hall lighting circuit to incorporate more wall lights on the existing switch and I will most likely run a 2 way switch in also. For that reason also it just suits better to have the main power at the switch.

There's nothing wrong with that set up, is there?

nothing wrong with loop in at the switch. some prefer it that way. I dont mind loop in at the switch or the fitting, whichever is called for

nothing wrong with loop in at the switch. some prefer it that way. I dont mind loop in at the switch or the fitting, whichever is called for

Thanks Phil.
I was sure it was all OK, just hadn't done it that way before. Cheers for taking the time to reply chap.

Matt

Some councils and housing associations insist on the looped live at the switch in there properties but that is there requirement and nothing in law or the regs for it

You will come across a lot of older installs where the circuit is wired in singles, the Live feed is looped through the commons in the switches, with the switched live running up to the fitting, then the Neutral is looped from fitting to fitting from the CU. This can cause allsorts of problems when you later upgrade the CU and find that there are several lighting circuits back at the CU but only one neutral.:(

came across an ex council flat the other day with the live loop at the switch and the neutral loop at the rose.
Not ideal since this can lead to an elec field because live and neutral are not next to eaxh other and cancelling each other out but that is only a problem if metallic conduit. Basically I am saying there is all sorts of connections out there.

I don't understand what you're saying mate.Thats the way you wire singles on commercial installs.Have i got the wrong end of the stick here

I prefer to wire at the rose if possible, particularly in domestic properties, to stop some keen DIYer coming along and replacing the switch with a socket.

Reply to Power to the switch...... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net