Pub Main Fuse | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pub Main Fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

charliefarli

Hi all, just thought I would ask some of you experienced sparks out there some advice if I could!

I recently got called to look at a pub which has a single phase supply with a fuse carrier with 300 amp written on it and it takes the type J style 415volts fuses. I have never come across a single phase supply like this and suggested to them they need a three phase supply as its a 5 story building and they are converting it into a restaurant,bar and offices above. The problem is they do not want to pay for a three phase supply to be installed because of the cost, so have asked if I can use whats there. Would I be able to put a 300 amp fuse in main head and come out of fuse in 95mm tails, and split off in a 300 amp henley block to two 100amp fused isolators in 25mm tails and then there will be 2 x 25mm armoured's going to two separate DB's. I would also run a 35mm earth to gas and water and 50mm main earth. your thoughts on this would be much appreciated as I am a bit confused how to handle this one.many thanks in advance!

Thanks for reply Lee. Have you ever come across a single phase supply like this? Its an old pub and the people who own it did call the DNO in to change the fuse carrier because they thought it was old and needed replacing but the guy who came said it was fine for continued use.

You cannot put any fuse in the head, that is the DNO's property and only they may touch it.

You can't just split it in a Henley block, you need to install a main switch for the installation and then your distribution equipment after that or install a panel board with main switch in it.
Why would you run 35mm bonding and 50mm earthing conductor? Is that based on any calculation or just a random guess?

is it possible to use a single phase supply if its big enough for 300amp? I have never come across it but the fuse carrier and incoming cable are huge and were obviously bought in to take a lot of power. I suppose if i call the DNO and explain what is there and what I am going to be pulling through it they can tell me if its adequate but just wanted to ask people here if they had ever seen same thing before and how they got round it.

its TNS, well I suppose earths are a bit of a guess, was just throwing it out there really, sorry wasn't exact. I wish they just got three phase would be so much easier. I appreciate that Dave, The guy reckons 200 amps would be more than enough so going to ring DNO tomorrow and see if they think this will be acceptable for service head thats there.

its TNS, well I suppose earths are a bit of a guess, was just throwing it out there really, sorry wasn't exact. I wish they just got three phase would be so much easier. I appreciate that Dave, The guy reckons 200 amps would be more than enough so going to ring DNO tomorrow and see if they think this will be acceptable for service head thats there.

Don't you think a maximum demand calculation based on the proposed building alterations would be more appropriate for the purposes of supply sizing than what some guy reckons ?

Why on earth would you want a 35mm main bond on a TNS when the maximum for is 25mm?

What 'guy' reckons it needs 200A? A qualified and experienced electrical consultant?

If it's a 300A SP supply and you need 200A I really don't see what is so difficult? Why would three phase be easier when there's already a large SP supply! Surely it's easier to use what's there already than install a new supply

I have to hold my hands up and say I am not to experienced with this kind of single phase arrangement, and just wanted to ask some advice. Sorry if I am annoying you with my quotes and questions but I really do appreciate all your replies.

Hardly a typical single phase arrangement also , the first thing OP needs to clarify is what size of supply is actually available to the installation, just because there is a 300a fuse carrier at the origin, doesn't mean it's all available.
Then he needs to verify his maximum demand, to see if the original single phase supply is adequate for his needs

Hardly a typical single phase arrangement also , the first thing OP needs to clarify is what size of supply is actually available to the installation, just because there is a 300a fuse carrier at the origin, doesn't mean it's all available.
Then he needs to verify his maximum demand, to see if the original single phase supply is adequate for his needs

What's not typical about it? The arrangement is not going to be any different to a 100A supply other than a bigger cable.

Everything you describe about checking the suitability of the supply is the same regardless of what size supply or how many phases there are.

It is not a typical single phase arrangement ,if the supply could be in excess of 200a,which would then require a sub distribution system to feed a DB arrangement ,depending on the installation network over the 5 floors
The advice to the poster was not to check the suitability of the supply ,but to check the maximum supply available ,as the only indication as to the max supply available was the 300a fuse carrier, only when this info was obtained could you begin to evaluate if the original supply was adequate for the installation needs

Reply to Pub Main Fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net