Query over new circuit installation for Boiler, and Bonding question | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Query over new circuit installation for Boiler, and Bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steviec_lj

Hi folks,

Please do excuse me if this is in the wrong area, it covers a couple of topics so I thought it would be best to pop it in here.

A little over 2 weeks ago, we had a brand spanking new heating system installed, and I cannot fault the lads that came and did it. Everything was tidied up, they moved whatever they needed to, etc, etc. Unfortunately the same couldn't be said for the electricians that eventually came out and connected the
boiler, motorised valves and room stats up. If there were a rogues gallery, I could post a number of pictures up.

The main issues that I currently for see, is the bonding arrangement that they have installed. The main bonding for the water main seems satisfactory, and is connected after the stopcock, within 600mm of where the main enters the building. The have piggybacked from this, through the wall to the oil pipe, to a point on the oil pipe that is some 4mtrs away from where it enters the building and 2mtrs from an external stop tap. They have added bonding to all other pipe work near the boiler (Zone 1 feed, Zone 2 feed, Return, DHW and Mains Cold), externally they've added bonding to the pipe work either side of the metal de-aerater but not the filter, and from what I can tell, this renders the bonding useless?

The other issue that was brought to my attention this morning, when the envelope hit the mat, was that they appear to have done some testing of the circuit that they installed, and the bonding. Without actually testing it to the best of my knowledge. I wonder if anyone would be able to enlighten me as to how this would be possible, or alternatively, possibly linking to an image of the equipment used to test Earth Fault Loop Impedance, RCD operating times and Insulation Resistance.

I won't include any images at the moment, as I should really take their names off of a couple of them before I post them up. But I do believe I will be contacting NICEIC about the work that they have done, and also notifying the Plumbing company of their work.

Any advice, or tips on dealing with something like this would be great.

Steve

Picture of the CU, the boiler is 6th MCB from the left, labelled "Water Heater", after the Main Switch.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Query over new circuit installation for Boiler, and Bonding question

All tools that were brought into the house were in a small brief case style carry bag, so unless a suitable tester is small enough to fit in a standard jeans pocket without being noticed, I doubt very highly that any testing was done.

If the circuit in question is really the one you have stated then clearly you have a jackanory cert as they have given RCD test results when there isnt one...(assuming they have not stuck an RCD FCU somewhere).....Get on to NIC complaints,or otherwise their stated test results can easily be verified by another tester,perhaps there is a forum member locally who could verify?

You stated this is a new circuit.....surely the W/Htr circuit was there before?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the circuit in question is really the one you have stated then clearly you have a jackanory cert as they have given RCD test results when there isnt one...(assuming they have not stuck an RCD FCU somewhere).....get on to NIC complaints.

My thoughts too

My guess is they used existing water heater circuit via a RCD fused spur unit local to the boiler especially if the boiler replaced is a combi & is close to where the old hot water cylinder used to be. Or the boiler has been located next the the existing hot water cylinder. Either way dont see much wrong with that

Water Heater Circuit was labelled on the CU, but not installed, as this had previously been removed before we moved in. Heating system has had a complete overhaul. I assume the Water Heater relates to the Immersion Heater that would have been in the hot water cylinder on the old system.

New boiler is located at the opposite end of the house, under the stairs. Originally, it was located just inside the side door, hence the minor building site in one of the pictures through the door. No RCD FCU has been installed, just a basic Switched FCU under the stairs near the new boiler.

I immediately thought the certificate was mickey mouse / jackanory / laurel and hardy when it arrived with RCD tests on it, as it isn't and never looks to have been RCD protected. I have verified that the boiler is on the stated MCB, simply by flicking the MCB into the off position, and watching the boiler neon tell-tale extinguish.

I will be on to NIC in the morning, the company in question seems to get a lot of referrals from the plumbing company, so I will be ringing those too!

Water Heater Circuit was labelled on the CU, but not installed, as this had previously been removed before we moved in. Heating system has had a complete overhaul. I assume the Water Heater relates to the Immersion Heater that would have been in the hot water cylinder on the old system.

New boiler is located at the opposite end of the house, under the stairs. Originally, it was located just inside the side door, hence the minor building site in one of the pictures through the door. No RCD FCU has been installed, just a basic Switched FCU under the stairs near the new boiler.

I immediately thought the certificate was mickey mouse / jackanory / laurel and hardy when it arrived with RCD tests on it, as it isn't and never looks to have been RCD protected. I have verified that the boiler is on the stated MCB, simply by flicking the MCB into the off position, and watching the boiler neon tell-tale extinguish.

I will be on to NIC in the morning, the company in question seems to get a lot of referrals from the plumbing company, so I will be ringing those too!

TBH fictional certs are rife....I've also seen one with rcd trip times with out an rcd in the house,and recently saw one with ring circuit readings for a radial!
That does not excuse it,even more so as this is an approved contractor rather than just a DI.....make sure the NIC take action,follow your complaint up and dont be fobbed off. As an approved contractor ourselves this sort of thing gives us all a bad name,

I think most probably the NICEIC will want you to contact the contractor first to see if it can be sorted out amongst yourselves. If you get no luck via that route I believe they will then step in as arbittraitors.

Not that I am speaking from experience, it's just that, that is how I understand the system works.

As NICEIC contractors they will have to keep a register of any complaints that they receive about the technical aspects of any of their work but not contractural

Reply to Query over new circuit installation for Boiler, and Bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net