RCD in Zone 1 in Bathroom?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD in Zone 1 in Bathroom?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

ciderpeter

Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, maybe someone could move it if so.

I am moving into my first rented house next week (moving out of parents) but have a concern with our bathroom.

Basically we have a jacuzzi bath fitted in there and there appears to be an RCD fitted for this within Zone 1 of the British Standards etc.

There is a glass screen on the half of the bath which prevents anyone other than Mr Tickle operating it from the tub, but is this safe?

I am assuming that the wiring for the bath/pump etc will be all underneath and therefore classified as safe, but what about this unprotected RCD?

Many thanks guys,

Pete

I was also under the impression that if the pump in the bath is rated higher than IPX4 (Most are IPX5) then an RCD is not required, but is nice to have. I suppose the question then is, if the RCD is fitted where it is, is the system still safe?

Hi Pete,

This is my first post on this site so hello to everyone that posts on here. I will try to answer your question for you.

Zone 0 ------ No switchgear or accessories permitted

Zone 1 ----- Only switches of SELV circuits supplied at a nominal voltage not exceeding 12 V a.c. rms or 30 V ripple-free d.c. are permitted, the safety source being installed outside of zone 0, 1 and 2.

Zone 2 ----- No switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets are permitted, except:
switches and socket-outlets of SELV circuits, the safety source being installed outside of zones 0, 1 and 2, and shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5 (if located where direct spray from a shower is unlikely).

Apart from the regulations concerning the zones the enclosure surrounding this rcd unit would have to be correctly IP rated, IPX4 would be a minimum in this case unless you had an elecric shower above the bath than a higher IP rating may be required.

Regards

Dichroic

[ElectriciansForums.net] RCD in Zone 1 in Bathroom??

[ElectriciansForums.net] RCD in Zone 1 in Bathroom??

Each item of electrical equipment in a location containing a bath or shower, no less than in any other area, must be selected and erected so as to be suitable for the external influences likely to occur at the particular point of installation. Such influences are likely to include steam (leading to condensation), falling drops of water and sprays and/or jets from shower nozzles.

To comply fully with the regulations you will also need to check your supplementary bonding is okay in the bathroom, assuming you don't already have all circuits protected by rcd.

Regards

Dichroic

Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, maybe someone could move it if so.

I am moving into my first rented house next week (moving out of parents) but have a concern with our bathroom.

Basically we have a jacuzzi bath fitted in there and there appears to be an RCD fitted for this within Zone 1 of the British Standards etc.

There is a glass screen on the half of the bath which prevents anyone other than Mr Tickle operating it from the tub, but is this safe?

I am assuming that the wiring for the bath/pump etc will be all underneath and therefore classified as safe, but what about this unprotected RCD?

Many thanks guys,

Pete

If the RCD unit itself is in zone 1 then it's not hunkydory. As the previous post states, you can't have 240v switchgear in zone 1.

Ok so it seems that something has to be done to sort this out when we move in.

Would the RCD be deemed safe if I was to house it within a plastic casing (with waterproof rating), sealing around the outside such that no water can enter from the outside, nor can anybody in the bathroom open it without tools?

Thanks.

The Regs are pretty clear about 230v gear in the zones of bathrooms. Best bet would be to move it to somewhere safe,

and by somewhere safe I mean at least 60cm from the edge of zone 1.

I'm sure if you post your location you'll be able to get a forum member to pop over and have a look.

Thanks, I might well do! It is in Cumbria.

It is a rental property like I say so I may give the letting agent a ring when I first move in, see what they say.

Reply to RCD in Zone 1 in Bathroom?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net