RCD protection on replacement sockets | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD protection on replacement sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been asked to change 2 single sockets for triple converter sockets would this be acceptable under like for like replacement as there is no rcd protection.

Also wants an additional outside light run from existing outside light can this be done without upgrade to rcd

By the regs no. They will both need RCD protection. What will cover it, is if you have a RCD FCU covering your work only.

Otherwise you can't certify it!

Ok Thanks for a speedy reply , i thought that would be the case for the light, with the sockets is that because i am increasing the number of outlets as the wiring will remain the same?

Personally I'm not 100% sure about the sockets. I would personally say that it would need to be RCD protected as you are changing the accessory. 100% certain for the lights though!

As long as the sockets are unlikely to supply equipment outdoors I would have no problem treating it as a like for like replacement and not providing rcd protection. Personally I think it is ridiculous to provide rcd protection for just the socket you are working on purely to satisfy the regs when none of the rest are. That is just my opinion and technically Electricalserv is correct regarding the sockets.
Unless your additional outside light is wired with buried cable @<50mm depth it will not require rcd protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm not 100% sure about the sockets. I would personally say that it would need to be RCD protected as you are changing the accessory. 100% certain for the lights though!

Electricalserv???.....why will the light require RCD protection?....fixed equipment outdoors does not require RCD protection.

Well as far as i am aware if you change an item like for like theres no reason to upgrade? its just as im changing from a single and a double to 2 triples its gone in to a grey area.

Thanks anyway:cool3:

IC no the new light cable will be black flex from existing light on surface

The sockets are in the Kitchen one being near back door so this may be a problem then

IC no the new light cable will be black flex from existing light on surface

The sockets are in the Kitchen one being near back door so this may be a problem then
Depends what they are intended for?
If they are for general use, or for use with mobile equipment outdoors, then RCD protection will be required.
This could be by use of an RCBO in the CU, and RCD FCU to supply the socket-outlets, or perhaps a stand alone RCD next to the CU for the RFC.

Reply to RCD protection on replacement sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net