Rcd/rcbo | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Rcd/rcbo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pig

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
There is a 'utility' circuit in an outbuilding which feeds three 1 gang sockets in turn, one for a fridge freezer, one for a tumble dryer and the last one for a washing machine. What I am wondering is whether to put the circuit on a 20A RCBO and then use switched 1 gang sockets, or use a 20A MCB and then a RCD socket for the fridge freezer. My question is would this way better as it would ensure that the tumble dryer or washing machine couldn't trip the RCD as the fridge freezer would be on its own RCD? If this is the case would the tumble dryer and washing machine also require RCD protection? If doing this with a RCBO then I would install a neon socket for the fridge freezer so it is easy to see at a glance that the power is present. The sockets are located next to the three appliances so the neon would be clearly visible at all times.
Regards.

if these sockets are each labelled for a specific use. e.g. washer, tumble dryer,freezer, and the cables are not buried in walls < 50mm deep, then RCD protection can be omitted.

Yes it's almost brand new. The consumer unit has a RCD protected side so I was going to put this circuit onto the non-RCD protected side so the food in the fridge freezer isn't lost if the RCD trips. What i'm not sure about is whether to put this circuit on a RCBO or a MCB with a RCD socket for the freezer. Reason I'm thinking is because the tumble dryer or washing machine could trip the RCBO, but then using a MCB, only the fridge freezer would be RCD protected (using a RCD socket)
Thanks.

if these sockets are each labelled for a specific use. e.g. washer, tumble dryer,freezer, and the cables are not buried in walls < 50mm deep, then RCD protection can be omitted.

Yes the sockets are wired with SWA so the cable and accessories are surface mounted. I had already thought of labelling each socket so it can be seen that those sockets are for the appliances that it is labelled for only. Thanks

Yes it's almost brand new. The consumer unit has a RCD protected side so I was going to put this circuit onto the non-RCD protected side so the food in the fridge freezer isn't lost if the RCD trips. What i'm not sure about is whether to put this circuit on a RCBO or a MCB with a RCD socket for the freezer. Reason I'm thinking is because the tumble dryer or washing machine could trip the RCBO, but then using a MCB, only the fridge freezer would be RCD protected (using a RCD socket)
Thanks.

Not much chance of discrimination when you install RCDs in the same circuit, Pig ask the Mods for permission to post in the trainee forum,

Reply to Rcd/rcbo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net