RCD's in Domestic Properties | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD's in Domestic Properties in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering, all my training was done towards the 17th edition so i have always known/installed RCD's were necessary in domestic installations.

My mum has recently moved house and when i went round to have a look, i naturally gave the mains a glance. TNC-S supply and a split load board with 100A main switch and 80A 30ma RCD. On the RCD protected side there is kitchen and house ring main, cooker and shower, and off the main switch, lights and boiler supply.

Is this common of earlier editions of the regs? Ive heard of sockets needing RCD protection prior to 17th edition but what about the installation as a whole as there will obviously be cables buried at a depth of less than 50mm which arnt RCD protected.

The reason i ask is that the installation looks relatively new and there is even harmonised colour cable used ( although i suppose this could have been additional work carried out at a later date than original install ), surely somebody wouldnt have installed this to current regs?

Harmonised cables introduced 2005. 17th edition introduced 2008 so the installation is very easy to date. Absolutely nothing wrong with it the way it is providing it complies to the 16th.

Cheers glenn, cross bonding is present on pipework beneath boiler, main bonding is also in place and although i cant see where it dissapears to when i opened the shower there is a 4mm2 green/yellow that dissapears with the supply T+E cable.

Cheers glenn, cross bonding is present on pipework beneath boiler, main bonding is also in place and although i cant see where it dissapears to when i opened the shower there is a 4mm2 green/yellow that dissapears with the supply T+E cable.

get your test gear out and prove between pipework in locations.....

new colours came in i 2004, made mandatory 2006. 17th came out in 2008, so this is probably a late 16th installation. i.d not worry about it.

Same here. It depends on your degree of caution and how flush you are. Is there a sticker saying when it was installed/last inspected? Getting an Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR, formerly PIR) is recommended (but not mandatory) on change of occupant. Or if you got a properly done CU change you'd get the important bits of the EICR done within the cost. Or you could get the lights and boiler circuits upgraded from MCBs to RCBOs which gives them RCD protection. Some would call it overkill, but RCD protected final circuits do save lives, so it's your/your Mum's call. Be careful putting nails in walls in the meantime.

You could buy her RCBOs supplied and fitted for her birthday :)

so i have always known/installed RCD's were necessary in domestic installations.

It might just blow your mind to know that RCDs are not 'necessary' in domestic installations. No more than they are 'necessary' in commercial installations anyway.

Have a read of the regs and it'll fill you in on the circumstances where RCD protection is necessary and where it isn't.

The chances are your Mum's board is absolutely fine, just not up to current regs.

Same here. It depends on your degree of caution and how flush you are. Is there a sticker saying when it was installed/last inspected? Getting an Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR, formerly PIR) is recommended (but not mandatory) on change of occupant. Or if you got a properly done CU change you'd get the important bits of the EICR done within the cost. Or you could get the lights and boiler circuits upgraded from MCBs to RCBOs which gives them RCD protection. Some would call it overkill, but RCD protected final circuits do save lives, so it's your/your Mum's call. Be careful putting nails in walls in the meantime.

You could buy her a CU change for her birthday :)
still at it i sees Nick...

selling unnecessarry `remedials` to the unwary....

to the OP:

as long as it complied at the time it was installed...then alls clear....as long as it passes present visual & tests...

it may even provide `additional` protection...

what do you think Nick mate?:biggrin:

would still be a benefit to RCD the other circuits, glenn, as nick said. not a necessity, but when these womenfolk bang nails in walls using a shoe as a hammer, an RCD is more use than a stiletto.

It might just blow your mind to know that RCDs are not 'necessary' in domestic installations. No more than they are 'necessary' in commercial installations anyway.

Have a read of the regs and it'll fill you in on the circumstances where RCD protection is necessary and where it isn't.

The chances are your Mum's board is absolutely fine, just not up to current regs.
Damian Damian...

the OP seems OK...

but theres usual suspects crawling out as i speak.....sigh...

would still be a benefit to RCD the other circuits, glenn, as nick said. not a necessity, but when these womenfolk bang nails in walls using a shoe as a hammer, an RCD is more use than a stiletto.
no..

i tell you what this Nick guy is doing....

he`s saying that a C3 is about `improvement required`...and will be baseing his ..quite frankly base assumption on the non additional protected ways on this....

so i have always known/installed RCD's were necessary in domestic installations.

thanks i appreciate that, thats why i said ' where necessary'. Not having BGB at hand right now but under what circumstances would warrant an RCD not being required? Cables run/clipped direct to a surface or in containment system or buried at a depth greater than 50mm? Im not saying im right with those conditions may have misread/understood them.

thanks i appreciate that, thats why i said ' where necessary'. Not having BGB at hand right now but under what circumstances would warrant an RCD not being required? Cables run/clipped direct to a surface or in containment system or buried at a depth greater than 50mm? Im not saying im right with those conditions may have misread/understood them.

Ah, I see. You missed the 'h' in 'where' in your original post. You can see where I'm coming from now :)

Mostly what warrants it is (almost certainly) none was required on those circuits by the regs of the day it was installed. Like I say, I personally would lose no sleep over it, I don't lose any over living somewhere where the only RCD present is on the shower, but it's your call.

eh...?

Reply to RCD's in Domestic Properties in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net