Recent quote | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Recent quote in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ragsta

hi forumer's i got a quote today for £500 for

installation of a 12 way RCD consumer unit including issue Part P NICEIC Electrical Installation Certificate and Supervision. Additionally: "However what I failed to mention was the Registration fee and Part P Insurance of £100"

We've also agreed to rectify any faults to allow your RCD consumer unit to work normally without any further charges.

so thats another £100 on top. What exactly are these fee's for, are they mandatory, who is the money going to, is the quote reasonable?

I am in west london if that makes a difference. The background is that i've completed the ring with sockets/spurs all within 17th Ed. regs. and all visible to see. The same for the lighting circuit.

Thanks.

£500 seems a lot, even for west London, but any remedials required could be expensive too so at least that's covered, if they find any.
The insurance is optional and to notify a job costs about £2.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the rest, are they going to be signing off work you've done as their own?

hi J-G, the work was carried out by myself under super vision from another sparky who was doing next doors work - a friends friend. The extension and house is the same. There is some work left to do like tracing the cables to the CU area which ill do under the supervison of the new electrician whilst he's doing the CU.

So thats 100% it is an optional payment , from some quick research its for a 6 yr warranty for defective work ?

I see, that must be what the 'Supervision' covers then.
I've just read that the NICEIC Insurance Backed Warranty is compulsory (I'm with Elecsa and it's 100% optional) so didn't realise that to be honest. I do however find it hard to believe that you *have* to pay an extra £100 for that and notification of your job.
I'm sure an NICEIC lad or 2 will post the exact requirements :)

£100 for notification and (optional) insurance is a RIP off.

FYI I charge £10.00 for certificate and notification on a board change and send the Elecsa leaflet with the invoice - if the client wants the insurance its up to them

The insurance does not protect the buyer from poor workmanship.

It is their for non compliance with the building regs etc.

It could very well be bad work, but could still comply.

I've just read that the NICEIC Insurance Backed Warranty is compulsory (I'm with Elecsa and it's 100% optional) so didn't realise that to be honest.

How can that be right? Part P requirements only require the warranty to be offered to clients and even then you cannot discuss it with them unless you are FIA registered.

Or is it the good old NICEIC cash register tinkling again?

just a thought, but how much supervision did they actually do?

I didn't understand the question.
Are you, ragsta, the householder or the electrician?

Bearing in mind i did 6 weeks of reading up from various sources so i knew what i was doing anyhow.

He advised me(more of a discussion i guess) on where to put the trunking, so all the wiring is correct in location, all drilling joist areas. advised and watched stripping wiring and checked others. I wired the junction boxes he checked, I dug the holes for the back box's and i marked and he checked the SL wires. All other wires i wrote out small labels and stuck them on he checked. This was over 3 days. The new guy is going to check all this as well. I think i can sign off the construction/ build part ?

I noticed from his business card he is elecsa registered "elecsa -part p." and NICEIC Pir's, but in his reply its NICEIC - part p :S. Does anyone know judging on the cost of £500 what the insurance cost is meant to be, considering one member said its a rip off for notification and insurance.

Do Elecsa not provide a part p certification with supervision. Is that why he's going with an NICEIC part p?

Goeoff I'm the householder buddy.

It is not legal to do what you are doing,although unlikely to come to light to any concerned authorities,so the multi thousand pound quoted fine should not affect you

There are 2 ways of complying with building regulation part p
You notify building control and pay the relevant fee and they inspect and test the work or you become a member of a scheme that are allowed to register their members as self certificating compliance with part p

What can be done as a registered member, is to supervise work carried out by others, and sign the test and inspection section of an installation certificate
You personally can sign the design and construction

What cannot be done is for the registered electrician to notify the job as if he actually installed the electrics

Reply to Recent quote in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net