Register with Sparksafe to bid on Council work in Northern Ireland | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Register with Sparksafe to bid on Council work in Northern Ireland in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trev

No, nothing to do with an American boy band.
It appears that there's a new scam surfaced in Northern Ireland, in order to bid on local authority contracts you have to be registered with Sparksafe.
I'm waiting for a guy to respond to some questions I've asked him re minimum qualification levels, costs, benefits to members etc etc. More info as and when I get it but I wonder how long it will be before it's imported to the mainland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't the Part P scams in England do that already for your hefty fee? Why would you need to have Part P scam and this as well?

I don't see anything about site visits on this one, it's a hefty admin fee for a computer based system...does changing a renewal date really cost £40, and wtf are you paying for in the £120? At least with the JIB I can have a nice gold plastic card, not even a blooming card with this

But for a principal contractor it would pay for itself when vetting contractors that have tendered.
And save the contractor who is tendering time/money as you could be vetted against it and employees also and in the long run would pay for itself not having to go through the same thing every time with different principal contractors as it's all in one place.

Last edited:
What locations? Belfast and Country Antrim . Is this Housing Exec work, council work or government work?

I don't know off hand precisely which bodies are piloting it, although I don't believe that it is restricted to Belfast. I know that the Housing Executive were one of the bodies which were particularly interested in SparkSafe, but I believe Education Boards and perhaps Health Boards may also have been.

If its so important why don't they just ask for JIB cards. A systems that's long been established as well.

I asked that question of Derek Thompson at the time that SparkSafe was being proposed. My understanding is that the JIB did not feel that it could be used as a de facto licence (although your JIB grading etc. is considered in the application process). As you will know all ETT-run Apprenticeships here are through the JIB Apprentice Training Scheme.

I think there was a court case here involving one big contractor (Red Sky perhaps?) where the judge ruled that to be a fully qualified spark they should have the 2391. But that could all be Chinese whispers!

No, the judge complained that there was no definition of a Qualified Electrician - and that he felt that there should be an accepted standard, and this was a major factor behind the development of SparkSafe. I don't believe that the case had anything to do with Red Sky although I may be mistaken. Red Sky were infamous for fraudulently claiming millions from Housing Executive maintenance contracts - pretending that they had done work which had not been done (an example being that they claimed for replacing more doors in a house than even existed).

Interesting. I'm an Approved JIB electrician and have been in Australia for a couple of years. When I return to Belfast is it likely companies will be asking for this endorsement, which I will have to pay for, or is it not that wide spread yet. Also the work references I will have will not be recent so how would that stand with this sparksafe??

Does jib exist in Ireland? If not, I suppose that sparksafe would be just like the jib? Bit steep tho at £160 for three years. However it could be OK if (and that's a big if) you could have a sparksafe card and not be required to be niceic etc...
I agree with trev that they're scams, but it has crossed my mind that they could serve a place in the industry. With all the Electrical Trainee courses that more and more people seem to be doing, organisations like jib should do more to protect proper sparks from loosing out on work to them.
I don't blame Electrical Trainee's, I blame a lack of knowledge on what it takes to be a spark, they just want a career change but don't know where to find the correct info on the internet. This is where the likes of the jib should do more.

Does jib exist in Ireland?

Yes. It exists in the north as the same JIB as in England, with the SJIB being in Scotland. It is not relevant in the south of Ireland though. However even in the north of Ireland there are very few JIB companies, although everyone does a JIB Apprenticeship.

If not, I suppose that sparksafe would be just like the jib?

No, it's not the same. It is intended to operate as a licence for Electricians which the JIB is not.

However it could be OK if (and that's a big if) you could have a sparksafe card and not be required to be niceic etc...

There is no SparkSafe card. It is an online system. This has nothing to do with the NICEIC. The client may require an NICEIC contractor - this has nothing to do with the workforce being individually licenced.

Reply to Register with Sparksafe to bid on Council work in Northern Ireland in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back