ring continuity | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss ring continuity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

foghorn

having added a couple of sockets to a ring final circuit when doing end to end tests i have no cpc end to end any advice i have checked my new works and all cpc connections are good could well have already been existing fault any advice welcomed

Between a rock and a hard place unfortunately, although the broken CPC isn't the worst thing that it could of been it will still need correcting

You need the habit of pre testing or pre warning customer of possible additional works

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i agree this does need correcting have done loop test on all sockets on the ring and all readings well within would have expected unuasual readings due to broken cpc but to no evail

Separate legs at consumer unit join l/CPC of one leg together and go round each socket checking for continuity when you lose it your either at break or just passed it

TBH unless you have a very understanding customer, you may have to take this on the chin and learn from it. The customer will no doubt think you are trying to get them to pay for something they should not pay for. "It was fine before you came" they will say even if it wasn't!

Last edited by a moderator:
parallel conductors not following the same route contravenes a reg. forgot which one. it's a bit like buses. they follow different routes, but they don't have conductors any more.

Hmm, how about finding the original problem and sorting it?

Yes that would be the ideal way forward. I was simply offering an alternative. Provided both legs are connected to the same circuit breaker, then the circuit as a whole is protected by a 20 amp device and so the continuity around the ring is not necessary so any break in no matter which conductor doesn't matter. You can call it whatever you like.

Reply to ring continuity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net