RING/RADIAL | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RING/RADIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BALDEAGLE

DIY
Reaction score
I had a problem with a ring main it kept tripping out
The electician found a fault between 2 sockets so broke the ring as wires in wall and running under bathroom floor
The cable is 2.5
When i have my drier running and switch on kettle it trips out how can i change this
No idea about electrics

I had a problem with a ring main it kept tripping out
The electician found a fault between 2 sockets so broke the ring as wires in wall and running under bathroom floor
The cable is 2.5
When i have my drier running and switch on kettle it trips out how can i change this
No idea about electrics
What trips RCD, RCBO or MCB/FUSE?

Has your electrician fitted an EXTRA MCB in your consumer unit, or just changed an existing one for a lower rated version?
The answer might be as simple as changing the socket that you plug one of these appliances into.

Has your electrician fitted an EXTRA MCB in your consumer unit, or just changed an existing one for a lower rated version?
The answer might be as simple as changing the socket that you plug one of these appliances into.
Or checking the plugtop on the kettle

As well as an extra one, he should have changed the existing one for the ring.
Can you tell us the rating of these two new MCBs, or post a pic of the board.
Its at my other house i rent out so will take photo when i get chance
Ive just had the EICR done and it did pass
I think he did mention that i couldn't have some items on at same time
You mentioned that i may just be able to plug kettle into a different socket
i can ask her to try it

Its at my other house i rent out so will take photo when i get chance
Ive just had the EICR done and it did pass
I think he did mention that i couldn't have some items on at same time
You mentioned that i may just be able to plug kettle into a different socket
i can ask her to try it
plugged kettle into a different socket and its ok
don't know why tho

Still haven't answered what is tripping?
Give him a chance, this isn’t the house he lives in so will have to wait for his tenant to get back to him before replying to our questions.

If you have the EICR there you could post a copy of it here, with any personal details blanked out.
just point out the new radials built from the old ring.

Give him a chance, this isn’t the house he lives in so will have to wait for his tenant to get back to him before replying to our questions.

If you have the EICR there you could post a copy of it here, with any personal details blanked out.
just point out the new radials built from the old ring.
sorry dont know how to do that
bit thick

from what i can glean from posts. the electrician has split a faulty ring into 2 radials, down rated the MCBs (as he should), but now there's too much load being put onto 1 of the circuits. moving a heavyload like a kettle to a different circuit eliminates the problem, but at the end of the day, the fault should have been found, fixed, and the ring reinstated. even if demolition of some of the building fabric was necessary. that's why we tolerate builders, plasterers and paint splodgers. got to keep the buggers off the dole.

from what i can glean from posts. the electrician has split a faulty ring into 2 radials, down rated the MCBs (as he should), but now there's too much load being put onto 1 of the circuits. moving a heavyload like a kettle to a different circuit eliminates the problem, but at the end of the day, the fault should have been found, fixed, and the ring reinstated. even if demolition of some of the building fabric was necessary. that's why we tolerate builders, plasterers and paint splodgers. got to keep the buggers off the dole.
There has been no mention of downrating the MCBs by the OP. We are just assuming so. We don’t even know yet what has tripped, as it could be an rcbo, and an earth fault rather than overload.
Electrician may well have put in 16A radials where a 20A could solve the problem. We just don’t know yet.

To the OP.
If you can scan the eicr circuit chart into your computer, or photograph it... you can use MS Paint or another photo edit software to blank out the details. Resave, and post the edited version up here

Reply to RING/RADIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net