RING/RADIAL | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RING/RADIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BALDEAGLE

DIY
Reaction score
I had a problem with a ring main it kept tripping out
The electician found a fault between 2 sockets so broke the ring as wires in wall and running under bathroom floor
The cable is 2.5
When i have my drier running and switch on kettle it trips out how can i change this
No idea about electrics

Not worried.
But I would say the electrician needs to furnish you with a test certificate highlighting the work he had done to create the 2 radials.
Unless this is a temporary fix and he is coming back to repair the ring.

As it is, we still don’t know the size of breaker for the new circuits.
For all we know he has just disconnected the broken cable and left both legs on the 30A

Not worried.
But I would say the electrician needs to furnish you with a test certificate highlighting the work he had done to create the 2 radials.
Unless this is a temporary fix and he is coming back to repair the ring.

As it is, we still don’t know the size of breaker for the new circuits.
For all we know he has just disconnected the broken cable and left both legs on the 30A
This fix was done about 18 months ago he said would be ok it in between tenants which is don't know when he also said i would only be able to use only certain things like kettle etc together as it would then trip he mentioned 16 amp thats why i thought he put extra fuse in
I dont understand between breaker and fuse or are they same
Just wanted to be safe
The bloke who did fix is not same who did EICR should he not have noticed if not safe

Ok... so the “fix” was done 18 months ago, but the EICR is more recent?

The electrician that did the fix should have split it properly into 2 circuits with 2 breakers.

The electrician that did the EICR should have noticed and reported on it, even though he may know you were aware of the changes.
C2 code if circuit breaker is too big for the single cable it is now protecting, resulting in unsatisfactory report.

We could still do with a photo of the actual consumer unit to see if the circuit list is the same as reality.

This is getting more and more confusing without knowing what’s what.

Ok... so the “fix” was done 18 months ago, but the EICR is more recent?

The electrician that did the fix should have split it properly into 2 circuits with 2 breakers.

The electrician that did the EICR should have noticed and reported on it, even though he may know you were aware of the changes.
C2 code if circuit breaker is too big for the single cable it is now protecting, resulting in unsatisfactory report.

We could still do with a photo of the actual consumer unit to see if the circuit list is the same as reality.

This is getting more and more confusing without knowing what’s what.
ok thanks will try get photo in next couple days
Thanks again

As per post 14
It appears the most common way to solve a ring final fault lately is to split into two radials. Whatever happened to actually repairing the fault and maintaining the ring?
There was mention earlier of it getting repaired between tenancies.... when there could be other work being done, or decorating.... but it’s been 18 months now.

Give him a chance, this isn’t the house he lives in so will have to wait for his tenant to get back to him before replying to our questions.

If you have the EICR there you could post a copy of it here, with any personal details blanked out.
just point out the new radials built from the old ring.
Has the tennant gotten back to him yet??

@BALDEAGLE
It looks like it may be within the regs., but it isn't really fit for purpose. 15A max. for a complete kitchen is insufficient.
My answer for this would be to obtain two used 20A MCBs, type Wylex NB20 (readily available from an online auction site), fit one in place of the existing 15A MCB, and fitting the other in one of the spare ways on the board, connecting one leg of the old ring to each MCB.
The use of second hand MCBs is controversial on here, to say the least, but on odd occasions, it provides a simple solution to a problem such as this.

Reply to RING/RADIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net