Running power to a shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Running power to a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

basset

I need to run 25m of 2.5mm armored cabling to a shed. The consumer box has no RCD protection and no spare slots for a RCBO, so I'm thinking of putting an external RCD box next to the main consumer box, any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. i.e how do you split power off to a seperate box

When in the shed I need a box that splits the power for lights 6a and socket 20a. I don't think this needs to be RCD protected?

Any advice would be most appreciated

Best regards
James

next to the CU fit a " garage board" comprising a 40A,30mA RCD and a MCB. i would use 6mm 3 core SWA on a 32A MCB. at the garage, fit a 2nd unit with a 20A and a 6A MCB. take the earthing from the house.

Hi James, personally I would put a 2way RCD board at the shed end of the circuit, no need to additionally protect SWA.

You can use Henley blocks to split your supply tails and then into a double pole switch for your isolation of the shed supply circuit.

Remember to upgrade your supply tails/main earthing & bonding if needed.

Regards wa

Upgrade your SWA to at least a 4mm, if not a 6mm.
At your CU, install a 2way modular box to accept your RCBO. Take your supply from the Phase and Neutral bus bars, join your earth from the SWA banjo and the earth from the SWA to the earth bar. Install your new CU in shed, go for a pint, job well done, pat on the back......failing that, get your local spark to do it, buy him a pint too....

rcd can go either end, but overload protection in the house is essential to protect the SWA. 2.5mm would just be adequate for a 16A and a 6A circuit in the shed, but no allowance for future increase in load. i would deffo go for 6mm.

Wow so much advice, I really do appreciate it guys.

So how about I go for the 6mm cable and a 2 way modular box with an RCBO to protect the SWA and electrics in the shed?

At the shed end fit a 2nd unit with a 20A and a 6A MCB. take the earthing from the house.

And by the way its a TN-S system

Regards
James

you can run the SWA anywhere it will not be prone to damage.

Got one of these in couple of weeks.

Thoughts on running along top of wooden fence - solid as newly installed, posts solid as set in concrete.. proper job - thats where I'm putting anyway, otherwise it's concrete paths up and all sorts:waving:

Definitely go for the 6mm - bit of future proofing, you never know they may want to stick a 2kW heater out there when it gets a bit frosty

Right you are, SWA across the vertical face of the wall.

Just another quick question: how do I install the 2 way modular box to the current consumer unit?

Sorry about all the questions but i'm very new to this. I've got my NICEIC assessment on the 19th Aug, wish me luck

Right you are, SWA across the vertical face of the wall.

Just another quick question: how do I install the 2 way modular box to the current consumer unit?

Sorry about all the questions but i'm very new to this. I've got my NICEIC assessment on the 19th Aug, wish me luck

I think the usual way is to split the tails from the meter via a Henley block, one pair to your original CU and 2nd pair to your new 1 way box containing suitably sized breaker, and the SWA from there via a suitable connection.

Reply to Running power to a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net