s plan central heating 3 zone valves | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss s plan central heating 3 zone valves in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

The easiest way of wiring in the UFH is just to treat it as a third zone in the heating. So assuming this underfloor heating is just one zone you would take a live (and poss a neutral) to a programmable room stat, take the switched live (and neutral) back to a 2 port zone valve; this operates the motor of the zone valve. Then all you have to do is connect the grey and orange,(the switch inside the valve) in parallel with the grey and orange of the other valves.

"Hello JD Hogg",

Underfloor Heating which is installed on the whole of a Ground Floor is often required to be used without the Radiator circuits of the Heating System - especially if those are on the First and Second Floor of the Home / Property.

This would mean that it should usually have its own Timeswitch - not a Programmable Room Thermostat - because as I am sure You know the Thermostatic Control of the Mixing Valve and the various Zones / Rooms within the Ground Floor [for example] are controlled completely seperately from the rest of the Heating System with Room Thermostats which control Actuators on the various Zones on the Underfloor Heating Pipework Manifold.

The Room Thermostats controlling the Underfloor Heating Zones obviously CAN be the Programmable type.

If the Underfloor Heating was wired as You described how would what I have described operate ?

Although people could turn down the other Room Thermostats - in this case for the First and Second Floor Radiator circuits - If Programmable Room Thermostats were installed - as is becoming more popular - that would not really be an option - because of having to lower the Set Temperature by the use of buttons - too much `messing about` for what is supposed to be a `Fully Controllable` Home Heating System.

I do NOT claim to know how to wire the Underfloor Heating - but I know how it is meant to be able to operate.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:
Chris, as I said in my post "assuming this underfloor heating is just one zone". If the OP has a specific system which he would like a wiring diag for I would be happy to help. I have designed and installed many UFH systems some with simple controls as I described and others with more complex controls as you have mentioned.

Chris, as I said in my post "assuming this underfloor heating is just one zone". If the OP has a specific system which he would like a wiring diag for I would be happy to help. I have designed and installed many UFH systems some with simple controls as I described and others with more complex controls as you have mentioned.

"Hello JD Hogg",

The Underfloor Heating in this case is for the whole Ground Floor as I read it a few Days ago.

In Theory it could be said to be `One Zone` in respect to the fact that it will be supplied from One Zone Valve connected DIRECTLY to the Heating System Flow - NOT from a `Leg` of the Heating System.

But within the Underfloor Heating for the whole Ground Floor there will obviously be Zones / Room Circuits which will have to be controlled by their own Room Thermostats - connected to Actuators on the Underfloor Heating Distribution Manifold.

That is why I have been mentioning that I feel it will probably have to be wired `seperately` from the S Plan Plus wiring plan.

Obviously the Underfloor Heating will have to be supplied via a Two Port Zone Valve connected directly to the Heating System Flow Pipe and there will have to be Timed Control of the Flow to the Underfloor Heating and a `Boiler Interlock` from the Timeswitch / Zone Valve etc. - there will also be a seperate Pump for the Underfloor Heating.

We were not speculating on how to wire the Controls for a fictitious Underfloor Heating System - I was writing about THIS Underfloor Heating System - `Underfloor Heating for the Ground Floor` - this will obviously have Zones within it for various Rooms / Areas.

I don`t want to come across as argumentative - But You did not write about how to Wire / Control the Underfloor Heating System in THIS thread.

I would not have expected a reply about the Underfloor Heating until there are more details from the OP / feebs 73 on exactly what is being installed regarding the Controls etc.

I kept mentioning it because it is a factor in the overall Heating System and specifically the wiring is part of the OP`s Electrical Works.

I am sure that You are very expert in designing wiring plans for Underfloor Heating Systems - But You may not have read the detail that the Underfloor Heating in THIS thread is for the whole Ground Floor of the property.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:

Reply to s plan central heating 3 zone valves in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net