Scottish Power wanting to butcher my flat... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Scottish Power wanting to butcher my flat... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lewdboy

Just had notification that Scottish Power are going to be re-wiring my entire block of flats to the meter. The existing supply cable is probably 50 years old and is embedded into the fabric of the building and is not re-wirable. I have been informed that the new source cable will be run to my front door in the first phase, and then run through my house to the meter in the second phase.

The problem i have is with this 'second phase'. My meter is situated in a cupboard in my kitchen which is nowhere near the front door. My flat is also finished to a very high standard and there are no cavities in the floors/walls or ceilings to conseal cables. Scottish powers contractors propose to run, what i beleive to be a fairly beefy 100A wire-armour cable, through my flat hidden within some horrible white plastic trunking. Unexeptable. I've spent too much money doing this place up for them to **** it. If i refuse to have the works done, my supply will be cut under the grounds of 'safety'.

Questions:

Can i refuse the work under any circumstance and continue to use the existing cabling?

Access to my kitchen cupboard is easiest by drilling out through external wall and would IMO be an easier run/install/job. Can this be insisted upon to minimise disruption to aisthetics?

Can i insist on my own contractor to carry out the work to my standard at my expense?

If all of the above prove not to be viable, i am aware to an extent that these high voltage/amperage cables cannot run beside ELV,telephone or other low voltage data cabling to conform with Building Standards Regs. Can someone please detail the distances that these cables MUST be kept apart? I may use them to stop the contractors doing as they please and staple them everywhere!

Many thanks for your helpful opinions in advance!

I would contact scottish power with your concerns,you are entitled within reason and where practical a cable route that will cause minimal damage/redecoration,best bet is to see someone in person proir to the work being done.

Looks like your meter location is non standard so first thing is how is the old cable run ? also run a cable outside ie exposed to the elements I dont think I have noticed in my area they are upgrading council flats mains supplies by running the orange cables in a 50x50mm metal trunking but as the meter/board back on to the stair there is no a lot of disruption

Looks like your meter location is non standard so first thing is how is the old cable run ? also run a cable outside ie exposed to the elements I dont think I have noticed in my area they are upgrading council flats mains supplies by running the orange cables in a 50x50mm metal trunking but as the meter/board back on to the stair there is no a lot of disruption

The old cabling is run in iron conduit. Over the ceilings/walls and plasered over. Absolute nightmare. I thought the supply cables were rated for underground/external use?

Its always best to talk the job through with them and well before the proposed start date,they will have met and overcome similar problems countless times,no doubt

There are options open to yourself,its a matter of searching for the right solution for you

For instance,the incoming supply doesn't necessarilly have to go through the flat to the rear kitchen.it can possibly be installed at entry point to the flat

Obviously,you would then need to re supply your fuse board,but wider and different options then become available,such as your own suggestion of external Swa

Best to get together with them and talk the job out with them first

I'd give up on the proximity argument, at best you're looking at 50mm. But I'm confused - if you own a flat, it's normally a leasehold ownership (unless you're lucky enough to own the freehold!) in which case you need to look to the terms of your deeds for guidance on the rights of third parties and supply companies. You MAY have recompense against the freeholder to make good afterwards.

But as others have said, the best option is to talk to them and express your concerns.

I'm guessing you are in Scotland?. Utility Cos have statutory rights, hence they can run a new supply in the common areas of your building without the express permission of the various owners . I think your best bet is to speak to the SP Contracts Manager dealing with this project to discuss and agree how the supply is run in your own property. Even within your home the supply cable is their property, though I'm sure you will find them willing to discuss and agree the best option, especially if you are willing to meet any extra costs.

Original utility supply cables, typically in VIR, are a major issue and something I have had a lot of involvement with, particularly trying to get SP to upgrade them and the head! They have either had a problem in your building or at last, are starting an investment programme to upgrade.

Let us know how you get on!

Regards.

Regards

You will definitely get grief from that cable if you don't let them change it.

(Like I spent xmas eve drying out an intake to 10 flats with no power).

Ask them to fit the trunking so you can hide it behind coving/skirting.

Ok what are the other tenant /owners saying because I take it they are in the same boat as you and as i said any chance of some pictures they dont cost anything and it gives us a better idea

Reply to Scottish Power wanting to butcher my flat... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net