Simple question on running cable along a wall? | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spark2be

The walls in my house are plastered block work. If I were to add a spurred socket that will be approx 5m from the original is it possible to clip the cable to the wall? I don't want to chase it in and the misus is not keep on trunking. I'm sure that the plaster will just break away with clips??

I've worked seven days a week for 2 and a half yrs, having only a day off when I'm tired or want to do something, just to have an apprenticeship so i can get the experience I need. Im not a hero, I just wanted it enough to do it

experience is invaluable,i trained a an apprentice up he is 17 yrs old knows alot now hes going to be a good spark he also does s,y plan heating,under floor also a mix of both there are loads of sparks who cant do this.

No that is not the case. I am about to finish my level 2 and I have enrolled for my level 3 and the 17th ed regs course both starting in September. When I have completed the first year of level 3 I will be looking to gain employment in the industry so I can finish my level 3 and gain my NVQ, I am not if the AM2 will be incorporated into the NVQ yet. Problem I have is that I have a full time job with responsibilities (house, kids etc) and so can't afford to be an apprentice unless I would be earning at least £10 ph.

I have been through school got myself a degree but the thaught of spending the rest of my life in an office scares me ****less!! I wish I had done this straight from school to be honest.

You’ll be safer in an office. From what I’ve seen of you so far I wouldn’t let you near a torch battery.

Sorry if I’m harsh, but whatever courses you’ve been on you don’t seem to have learnt anything.

As for £10 per hour with your experience, dream on. Find an office job. The Royal Bank of Scotland could be a good place to start, they don’t care how big a mess you make of things.

No need to apologise Tony you seem like a really nice guy, the kind of nice guy that would be behind a learner driver beeping him until he causes an accident.

Thanks for the helpful posts, as Highspark and a few others have suggested I am going to chase down and lay the cable underneath the floorboards. Do it properly, start as I mean to go on.

The one and only reason I joined this board was to get advice and use it as a learning tool. I dont really want to get involved in petty jibes like me old mucker Tony seems to be into.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to apologise Tony you seem like a really nice guy, the kind of nice guy that would be behind a learner driver beeping him until he causes an accident.

Thanks for the helpful posts, as Highspark and a few others have suggested I am going to chase down and lay the cable underneath the floorboards. Do it properly, start as I mean to go on.

The one and only reason I joined this board was to get advice and use it as a learning tool. I dont really want to get involved in petty jibes like me old mucker Tony seems to be into.

Fair do's - a tip for you, many people start some pretty daft threads - people who start threads with a problem, plus an idea of how to solve it sensibly generally get better input.

Thanks Murdoch even though I dont think the reason for me starting this thread was a silly one, I will take your advice on board and the next time I ask a 'silly' question (which I probably will) I will also suggest a way of solving it. I am more than willing to bet that I get the same response from some people.

Thanks Murdoch even though I dont think the reason for me starting this thread was a silly one, I will take your advice on board and the next time I ask a 'silly' question (which I probably will) I will also suggest a way of solving it. I am more than willing to bet that I get the same response from some people.

there is a "thanks" button, bottom left of each thread, to show your appreciation.!!

Fair do's - a tip for you, many people start some pretty daft threads - people who start threads with a problem, plus an idea of how to solve it sensibly generally get better input.
Conversely I find the worst threads are the ones where someone has guessed the solution and asked how to put that into practice, but won't say what the problem is, then dribbles extra bits of information in as the thread progresses. In most cases there is a much simpler and more effective solution to the one in the question.

Spark2be, please forgive us. We get a lot of posts on here from people who don't know what they are doing, have no test gear and just want to avoid getting a qualified electrician in to save a few pounds.
You say that you have a degree? I would respectfully suggest that you persue a career in whatever it is you have gained that degree in as your lack of basic knowledge really worries me.

Reply to Simple question on running cable along a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net