Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuncanS

Here's a scenario, I'm adding two new circuits to a mini consumer unit for my first ever NAPIT inspection... Just noticed that the main switch/RCD is rated to 100amps but the suppliers main fuse is only 80amp, should I change the RCD to one that's 80amp or lower, I don't want the NAPIT spark to think I've over looked anything...
just to add detail the circuits on the board are as follows, oven 32amp breaker! shower 45amp breaker, jacuzzi 20amp breaker.

Correct mate, that's why I laugh at people who buy megawatt showers thinking it's somehow better than say a 7.6Kw job. Your skin can only take so much heat comfortably.
Madness I tell thee, madness

It can routinely carry 100a, which was my concern in the first place, because if some spark has put this in some time ago and, there I go drawing 100a through it I'm gonna blow the main fuse, which would be a bugger as the DNO get funny about people just replacing them, no?
I appreciate those of you with sensible replies, for the trolls, let me remind you that once you were new to this and for me this is the first install I've done unsupervised so please do excuse my nerves, I'd rather come on here and double check my worries than leave something unsafe...

My question regarding split supply was just to confirm that this mini consumer unit you have added circuits to was not a sub main fed from main DB, which you have confirmed it is not. The important distinction you need to understand here is that the current rating of your RCD Main Switch will not limit the current you can draw through it, the installation it supplies decides that. The current rating of the RCD (in your case 100A) is the maximum it is designed to handle.

Correct mate, that's why I laugh at people who buy megawatt showers thinking it's somehow better than say a 7.6Kw job. Your skin can only take so much heat comfortably.
Madness I tell thee, madness

But will a higher wattage shower not give the same temperature as a lower wattage one only with a proportionally higher water flow ?

The flow will be the same, but hotter for the same flow on the more powerful shower. In the winter you have to really reduce the flow rate on lower powered showers unless you don't mind it cool :)
But you're still only going to have it as hot as you can stand. Are you seriously telling me that you can't get a hot enough shower on a cold day from a relatively low powered one compared to that Mira you mentioned?
When I was playing rugby the showers were never switched on anyway so I kind of got used to cold showers. Nowt to do with spanking the monkey mind you :)

Reply to Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back