Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuncanS

Here's a scenario, I'm adding two new circuits to a mini consumer unit for my first ever NAPIT inspection... Just noticed that the main switch/RCD is rated to 100amps but the suppliers main fuse is only 80amp, should I change the RCD to one that's 80amp or lower, I don't want the NAPIT spark to think I've over looked anything...
just to add detail the circuits on the board are as follows, oven 32amp breaker! shower 45amp breaker, jacuzzi 20amp breaker.

See above, if the incoming flow rate is X on a 7.6 Kw it's still going to be the same on a 10Kw job

What do you mean by incoming flow rate? There is some maximum flow-through rate of water that a 7kW shower is capable of getting up to X degrees centigrade, right? Well, the 10kW shower can get a lot more water through and get it up to X degrees, so you get a wetter shower.

But you're still only going to have it as hot as you can stand. Are you seriously telling me that you can't get a hot enough shower on a cold day from a relatively low powered one compared to that Mira you mentioned?
When I was playing rugby the showers were never switched on anyway so I kind of got used to cold showers. Nowt to do with spanking the monkey mind you :)

Perhaps you live in an area with low water pressure/flow. Round here you could fit a 7.5 KW and have a cold shower at full flow. I have a 10.5 KW and I can turn it to full flow and the water is Luke warm. Just thought you are not using microbore pipe when you plumb yours in are you ??????

What do you mean by incoming flow rate? There is some maximum flow-through rate of water that a 7kW shower is capable of getting up to X degrees centigrade, right? Well, the 10kW shower can get a lot more water through and get it up to X degrees, so you get a wetter shower.
If the flow rate is X litres per minute at the water isolator upping the wattage of the shower is not going to change that.

Thanks, as you can tell I didn't install this unit just adding another two circuits... I'm probably over thinking things and just being paranoid but.... If this unit is protected by an rcd, does that rcd effectively become it's main switch?

Unless it has a main switch within the CU upstream of the RCD, then the RCD is also the CU's main switch. If you look on the certifying forms I believe it lets you specify overcurrent/RCD characteristics of a main switch which has them. I think what your thinking is hinting at is a potentially valid concern about whether your additions have compromised the diversity of the installation such that it it doesn't meet diversity guidelines and so is unacceptably at risk of blowing the DNO fuse. Have a look at the diversity stuff in the 17th edition to see how to work it out. At least I think it's in there.

- - - Updated - - -

If the flow rate is X litres per minute at the water isolator upping the wattage of the shower is not going to change that.

But usually it's the shower that constrains the flow rate at the shower head, not what the upstream supply is capable of, isn't it?

Perhaps you live in an area with low water pressure/flow. Round here you could fit a 7.5 KW and have a cold shower at full flow. I have a 10.5 KW and I can turn it to full flow and the water is Luke warm. Just thought you are not using microbore pipe when you plumb yours in are you ??????
Don't have a shower mate, we're not filthy buggers though.

Reply to Size of suppliers fuse vs RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back