Spotlights Wiring Advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Spotlights Wiring Advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whinswood378

Hi.

We have been given some new spotlights for our kitchen... but I cannot find any L or N symbol to indicate which terminal is live and and which is neutral. They are double insulated so do not need an earth connection.

There are some symbols that I don't recognize. One side has the letters VEM and the other has a symbol that looks like a ''Devils Fork'' in circle.

These spotlights are ''Knightsbridge MD02 R80''

Please help...Thanks.

Keith.

are these screw in bulbs? as in edison screw. if so, then the L is to the centre contact and the N to the srew thread. check with a multimeter.

Last edited:
Thanks.....just out of curiosity what would happen if the neutral and live were wired to the wrong terminals on the spotlight......would the light turn on ?.....and if so what danger would this pose ?

those fittings i believe are not fire rated, you would need to fit hoods above, personally i would not fit them, go for a decent fire rated fitting then you have the option of LED which will save you a fortune on running costs, dont forget electrical works in the kitchen is classed as a NOTIFIABLE location

Last edited:
they will work. however if wired wrongly, the screw thread, which can be touched when replacing bulbs, would be "live". whereas the centre contact is not so accessible

@ a1guvnor. kitchen is not a special location, but work is notifiable to LABC

Thanks.....just out of curiosity what would happen if the neutral and live were wired to the wrong terminals on the spotlight......would the light turn on ?.....and if so what danger would this pose ?
If you dont know the answr to this question then you should not be fitting them. Any Electrician would know the answer. I'm guessing your a DIYer?

yes, sorry, i was being picky, but the younger, less experienced members need to know correct terms and terminology if they want to stand above the crowd. so many times i see reference to r1+r2, when it should be R1+R2. ( just for example).

those fittings i believe are not fire rated, you would need to fit hoods above, personally i would not fit them, go for a decent fire rated fitting then you have the option of LED which will save you a fortune on running costs, dont forget electrical works in the kitchen is classed as a NOTIFIABLE location

Why do you need fire hoods? (Assuming the OP has a single occupancy house and not a flat)
No need for fire rated fittings as in a single dwelling there are no fire compartment boundaries other than above an integral garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need fire hoods? (Assuming the OP has a single occupancy house and not a flat)
No need for fire rated fittings as in a single dwelling there are no fire compartment boundaries other than above an integral garage.

Where can i find this exact info in building regs? this was my thinking, but i am about to go head to head with a jobsworth BCO!!!

Follow the link,search for wiring matters spring 2005 and download the first on the list
There is a section on recessed downlights and the report of a consultation into the effects commisioned by the IET
Read the comments on the report fully
Home - IET Electrical

Reply to Spotlights Wiring Advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net