Starting an apprenticeship should I do industrial or domestic | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Starting an apprenticeship should I do industrial or domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I have two offers one person does more industrial offices, prisons, university’s etc.

The other guy does more houses and stuff like that. My plans are after my apprenticeship is to go on my own and maybe if I get big enough to get people working for me.

So I was just wondering what’s the best route to take?

The person who does houses is a small company think he only has 1 or 2 people working for him and the company that does industrial is huge.

Thanks

So say if I work for this bigger company will I still have the skills and knowledge to work in domestic

The answer to that is the same as can I carry out EICRs in domestic commercial and industrial.

I can carry them out in the field I am familiar with and have experience of working in.

So I cannot do EICRs in industrial as I have very little relevant experience.

if the bigger company get you work in domestic as well as industrial and commercial then the answer is yes, but it’s all about experience in the type of installation you want to work in.

So say if I work for this bigger company will I still have the skills and knowledge to work in domestic
Circuits are generally the same wherever they are installed but it is the installation methods which can differ so if you switch from industrial to domestic without having experience in that sector then initially you may struggle but then again you may not. Getting a cable from A to B is likely to be easier in a factory than a dwelling often where "tricks of the trade" are helpful.

I feel you are leaning toward the domestic option.

if that’s your choice that’s great good luck.

but in 10-20 years you may regret that.

As I said previously I would have loved to be given the industrial option, but it’s your life choices. If domestic is your choice good luck. Don’t let me or anyone else make these choices for you.

another but, please consider the industrial.

whichever way you go please let us know your choice.

all the skills you'd be missing are how to pull up floorboards, crawl into tight spaces filled with itchy-poo and rat rubbish. oh. and how to deal with imbeciles. GO INDUSTRIAL. Do some domestics on the side by all means.

From my experience yes. I worked in an Opencast coal mine .
We had everything from 3000 ton electric earth moving machines to a fully equipped machine shop, to office blocks with reception rooms, canteens with electrical catering equipment, in fact everything you would find in a domestic situation , even impromptu beds. And even domestic sockets and lighting.

it's not just the skills. with industrial you are supplied with the right gear for the job, the proper tools and access equipment , you don't knacker your knees, back and hearing. best of all, there won't be any wet-pants , plaster sloppers or wood butchers interfering with your work.

it's not just the skills. with industrial you are supplied with the right gear for the job, the proper tools and access equipment , you don't knacker your knees, back and hearing. best of all, there won't be any wet-pants , plaster sloppers or wood butchers interfering with your work.
To think back it had a lot going for it., even in my day. Medical centre , subsidised canteen, travel money one way, plus half hour pay per day clock on time if you were on time every day for one week. Loads of others , even a Tug Of War team.

Last edited:
What I miss not working for a large firm any more is the way knowledge gets bounced around, and the ability to keep up to date a lot easier. Not to mention the costs I now have to lay out. I had a brilliant apprenticeship working on all types of installations, but rarely see a domestic, unless it was a bosses favour for one of the big customers or a PJ.
In later years nearing retirement, most of my work is now domestic allowing me to pick and choose my hours of work most of the time. However, going into domestic was also a learning curve at the beginning. Going large commercial/industrial for you early years of learning would definitely be an advantage in my opinion.

Same had a great verity when I was in my apprenticeship, factory's/schools/churches/ hospitals/ offices/pubs and of course house's. Loved all of it and each had their required skills. Domestic is not easy far from it.
Good luck what ever you decide (lucky lad)

Industrial. There is nothing hard about domestic work and it is easier to go from industrial to domestic than the other way round.
I wouldn't disagree but don't understate the skills and tricks particular to a good domestic sparky, I've seen laughable attempts at house bashing by factory etc sparks, if OP's plan is to strike out on his own then he should learn whats relevant..

Reply to Starting an apprenticeship should I do industrial or domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net