Stepladder safety | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Stepladder safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just thought i'd share something that maybe all of us should probably think on from time to time... was just talking to a good mate of mine who works in the industry, he was on some steps at work last week, leant across on them a bit too far to reach, he ended up severely breaking his back.. he was in hospital for a week before coming home today and being placed on a bed rest where he's gonna be for quite a while..I really hope he will recover enough so he can get back to work fully... it just really made me think about my own ladder/step safety when i'm at work, not gonna lie I have taken what seemed like small risks in the past (leaning way over the edge to reach something, when I should have just got down, moved the ladder and continued working) but have gotten away with it. Maybe sometimes we can all get too complacent with steps and take shortcuts to save on a few seconds..? Just a thought guys... have a good day :)

[ElectriciansForums.net] Stepladder safetyNuff said...

Got it at work here. All our ladders/steps are Scafftagg Ladder register and are checked monthly plus RA and ladder training but now the in house HSE bloke says we gotta bin all the steps and replace them with handrail types plus we have a genie MEWP for any high works.

Fall restraints count as a point of contact.

What a ridiculous comment, using fall restraint on steps is as pointless and pouring water into a bottomless bucket.

Steps should only be used for short duration work and you should have steps that are fit for purpose, on a level surface, free from external impact dangers and you should endeavour to maintain 3 points of contact (Not always practical)

If the task you are doing will take more than 5-10 minutes you should investigate an alternative such as platform steps or a scaff tower or MEWP.

People who advocate using harnesses on steps are simply accidents waiting to happen.

Fall restraint gear is useless below a certain height.
You need space for the shock absorbing element in them to operate, before you hit the ground!
I'm familiar with this being an ex (haven't been for 2 years!) climber.
If you fall on a length of rope, rigidly fixed at one end, other end on you, the shock generated can seriously damage you.

What a ridiculous comment, using fall restraint on steps is as pointless and pouring water into a bottomless bucket.

Steps should only be used for short duration work and you should have steps that are fit for purpose, on a level surface, free from external impact dangers and you should endeavour to maintain 3 points of contact (Not always practical)

If the task you are doing will take more than 5-10 minutes you should investigate an alternative such as platform steps or a scaff tower or MEWP.

People who advocate using harnesses on steps are simply accidents waiting to happen.

I don't write the rules, I just said it counts as a point of contact.

I agree if there is a safer way then use it.

Reply to Stepladder safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net