Strange fault | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was called out yesterday to a customer that has been having trouble with the electric tripping on various circuits (16th edition mem2000 board)
When I got there I had a quick look and couldn't find anything obvious anyway cut a long story short did a full eicr, all circuits good.
She's phoned the dno no reported problems in the area.
Ive explained it's probably something they're using as it never trips when they're out, or maybe could be a water leak after a shower etc, but still no pattern.
I've isolated the outside lights and it still occurred last night.
The strange bit though is its the non rcd side and she's claiming the main switch tripped along with some mcb's.
I thought perhaps a faulty switch so replaced with one I had in the van but as I said it happened again ! Is this possible as I've never come across a switch that switches itself off and no its definatley not an rcd. It's 1990's house and doesn't appear to have been messed around with too much.
Confused please help!!
:rolleyes4:

The question here is why the heck would she flick the switch? especially this many times and not say anything :/ how old is the daughter out of curiosity?
The daughter is about 11, it only happens when she is up, nothing happens when there all in bed.
Just found out there is a new man on the scene enough of a trigger maybe ?

Yes it is quite late I agree all mine are all in bed way before that !!, I don't think it could be sleepwalking as she'd have to go through the front room to get to the cu unless it is the mum of course !

My bet is woman calls out at midnight in her skimpies, jumps the sparky, daughter runs off and posts the whole thing up on facebook. Woman's new boyfriend found asking around for the sparky's address in the morning......

Would she call an electrician if other switches around the house started going off randomly, like light switches or switches on socket outlets, or would she think that someone's playing silly buggers, because it seems like the same thing to me (but maybe she would!). If she believed that the switch can't go off by itself then she would probably start thinking about who could be switching it off and figure it out.

Quick update before the kids clubs take over the weekend !!

Well that went well NOT !

It must be a Ghost as there is no way my daughter would do that (even though it turns out she was in or near the room when it tripped)

Surprisingly didn't trip last night even with all my protective measures removed !

What can you do, just hope she pays my invoice now :rolleyes2:

Well, if you explained that the main switch has no "tripping" facility, and that the only way it can be in the off position is if someone switches it off, then it's up to her to delude herself.
As you say, hope she pays you and I'm sure she won't have you back, making suggestions that her daughter could possibly have been involved. Still the possibility that it was her, which would make her very defensive.
Thanks for keeping us updated :)

Quick update before the kids clubs take over the weekend !!

Well that went well NOT !

It must be a Ghost as there is no way my daughter would do that (even though it turns out she was in or near the room when it tripped)

Surprisingly didn't trip last night even with all my protective measures removed !

What can you do, just hope she pays my invoice now :rolleyes2:

Good luck with your invoice. Great story!

Reply to Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net