Sunbeds | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Sunbeds in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok dig this one up again. Well my bed is now installed and what a nightmare its been. As said before, 4 businesses runing off a single phase supply! DNO initially uprated the fuse from 60 to 100A, but left in place what looked like 10mm tails, thankfully they came back and changed them.....then the cold spell hit and everyone plugged in elec fan heaters eventually causing the main fuse to blow, now changed. Place a clamp meter on the supply and there is a constant 80-90 amps flowing and the supply voltage is down to 200V. Sunbed (43A constant on a 50A C type) user was complaing od nuisance tripping on the sunbed, coupled with out of hours access problems, she requested that the circuit protection (+RCD) was moved to within her property. Initial thought was that the MCB was constantly warm due to the heat generated in the original cupboard making it more suceptible to tripping, but when I noted the low supply voltage, this would cause the bed to draw close on 50A (not including start up inrush). Is the constant demand going to drag the voltage down or do you think this is a supply problem. I cant shut the installation down to test as the other businesses wont allow it.....your thoughts greatly appreciated

I think what each shop is pulling is irrelevant the supply either needs upgrading to 3 phase and split witch would involve cooperation and shared costs or, the sunbed shop need to apply and have their own dedicated single phase supply installed.

Yes a bigger supply is needed, your customer will have to speak to their supplier for an upgrade, not sure if this will cost them though.

Watch out as some of the more expensive sunbeds are 3ph double check with the manf. instructions first. Most are available on the net so get make and model no of unit. Often they have special requirements for air extraction too.

Reply to Sunbeds in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net