Swa as main earth ?!? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Swa as main earth ?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I have turned up on a job… someone previously has installed a 120mm 2 core swa from the meter to a barn building 160m away and them split off for the house and barn building in 25mm tails and have used the armour on the swa as the main earth.

Both ends of the swa have been terminated badly, the ze reading is 0.80 and the armour csa isn’t large enough to be use as the main earth.

I have calculated the for that distance a 70mm swa should have been used and then in that case the csa of the existing swa would be sufficient.

I’m conflicted now if I should make off both ends of the existing swa and if I get a low enough reading continue to use the armour as the main earth or to convert all 3 building that are fed from it to TT systems.

It’s a mess and the customer refused to put in the new correct cable… so what are your thoughts ??

[ElectriciansForums.net] Swa as main earth ?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have turned up on a job… someone previously has installed a 120mm 2 core swa from the meter to a barn building 160m away and them split off for the house and barn building in 25mm tails and have used the armour on the sea as the main earth.

Both ends of the swa have been terminated badly, the ze reading is 0.80 and the armour csa isn’t large enough to be use as the main earth.

I have calculated the for that distance a 70mm saw should have been used and then in that case the csa of the existing swa would be sufficient.

I’m conflicted now if I should make off both ends of the existing swa and if I get a low enough reading continue to use the armour as the main earth or to convert all 3 building that are fed from it to TT systems.

It’s a mess and the customer refused to put in the new correct cable… so what are your thoughts ??

View attachment 117993

What is the earthing system?
Currently TNCS

The armour of a 120.0 two core will support a maximum of 10.0 main protective bonding from a TN-C-S system.
The size of main protective bond is not dictated by the size of this submain so I don't understand why you say 70.0 is fine but 120.0 is not.

So I have turned up on a job… someone previously has installed a 120mm 2 core swa from the meter to a barn building 160m away and them split off for the house and barn building in 25mm tails and have used the armour on the swa as the main earth.
How much further are you going from the split to house and barn distribution
That does need sorting the 951 clamp is not the way to earth an SWA cable
I have calculated the for that distance a 70mm swa should have been used and then in that case the csa of the existing swa would be sufficient.
What numbers are you using to get to this solution
It will tidy up the cable termination and at least one end of the SWA will need earthing
If the correct cable is the 70mm you say then I think you may need to revisit your calcs and take into account the whole installation as I don't believe you are looking at the total volt drop through to the final circuits

Is the SWA in a duct, if it is you could just pull in a suitably sized earth cable

The armour of a 120.0 two core will support a maximum of 10.0 main protective bonding from a TN-C-S system.
The size of main protective bond is not dictated by the size of this submain so I

The size of main protective bond is not dictated by the size of this submain so I don't understand why you say 70.0 is fine but 120.0 is not.
Basically what I’m trying to confirm is wether the steel armour on the 120mm has sufficient capacity to act as the main earth conductor from the supply to the 3 properties it feeds…

It will tidy up the cable termination and at least one end of the SWA will need earthing

If the correct cable is the 70mm you say then I think you may need to revisit your calcs and take into account the whole installation as I don't believe you are looking at the total volt drop through to the final circuits

Is the SWA in a duct, if it is you could just pull in a suitably sized earth cable

Yes the plan is to make both ends of the swa of properly.. And I’m not bothered the fact that it’s 120mm but the bit I’m struggling to get a definitive answer on is wether the armour on the 120mm is sufficient to be used as the main earth…

It isn't the main earth it will be a cpc. If your main protective bonds need to be 35.0 then no it isn't adequate so you need to establish the bonding csa.

It isn't the main earth it will be a cpc. If your main protective bonds need to be 35.0 then no it isn't adequate so you need to establish the bonding csa.
It should be a cpc, but reading his post it sounds as though the SWA heads off before the consumer unit or any protective device and he essentially has 160m meter tails!

I think that is why it’s being called the ‘main earth’.

A diagram would be worth 1000 words in this thread. I suspect it needs tidying up at the origin to include an OCPD, some adiabatic calcs to determine CPC requirements, then considerations of bonding requirements the far end.

Last edited:
It would help to know the supply details ...... if 25mm 100A supply TN-C-S then 16mm earthing conductor would be required with 10mm bonding conductors thereafter, irrespective of the 120mm circuit conductors as they are probably only sized for volt drop and will never exceed 100A. An adiabatic calc would determine if the swa (10mm) is adequate.

It should be a cpc, but reading his post it sounds as though the SWA heads off before the consumer unit or any protective device and he essentially has 160mm meter tails!
I assume you have added an m here and it was meant to read 160m
A diagram would be worth 1000 words in this thread. I suspect it needs tidying up at the origin to include an OCPD, some adiabatic calcs to determine CPC requirements, then considerations of bonding requirements the far end.
A diagram would be a great help as well a little more information on the configuration of rest of the installation

The 120mm cable has clearly been used to cover off the volt drop and sized to leave some overhead for the volt drop in the final circuits but there is a lot of information missing to be able to offer any informed advice with regard to the options on the earthing

It should be a cpc, but reading his post it sounds as though the SWA heads off before the consumer unit or any protective device and he essentially has 160m meter tails!

I think that is why it’s being called the ‘main earth’.

Hi, yes this is essentially what I have… 25mm tails connected strait to swa that’s run 160m then connected back to 25mm tails that’s then sent of in 3 different buildings..

I'm making a lot of assumptions, but if 100A is a sufficient max demand total for the 3 properties (eyebrow raised a bit), volt drop is ok, the CPC is sized by calculation for ADS of the switched fuse and you proceed as you suggest to make this distribution circuit TT the far end so each property is not connected to a PME supply....
..then my understanding is that you need to be above half the distribution circuit's calculated CPC size to support bonding within that building.
(I've got concerns that this hasn't been sufficiently planned, you've inherited a mess and someone else's attempts at a plan, along with a customer not wanting to spend money, and it sounds as though a 3ph supply should have been considered.)

Reply to Swa as main earth ?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net