SWA into plastic cu | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss SWA into plastic cu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys just finishing off a rewire where I have a 6mm 3 core SWA Sub main running to an outbuilding. I'm connecting into a 10 way plastic cu in the house which is going to be positioned just under the ceiling in the hallway with the cable dropping down from above into it. Just wondered on the best way to connect the SWA I've heard people mention earthing nuts but never come across them. It is a T-N-CS earthing arrangement and is going on a 40a MCB, non RCD, protected running to a metal clad board in the outbuilding with the 3rd core used as the cpc and armour connected on the supply end. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Really?

You do much comerical/industrial?

a lot of designers spec cpc's in conduit now a day's.

Search in google for 20mm earth coupler and it be one of the first pics

I do a bit of conduit work and always use use the conduit as CPC when the calculations allow (which has been always so far)
I am aware that designers do like to waste miles of copper like that yes, I guess it just proves they like to go for the easy life rather than designing properly. Guidance note 8 is pretty clear on the subject when it says that adding a cpc in steel conduit is a futile exercise.

I can honestly say i've never seen a coupler like that before, and it looks a bit ridiculous to me.

Guidance note 8 is pretty clear on the subject when it says that adding a cpc in steel conduit is a futile exercise
I had an argument at work last week with the senior spark on the job.
2 steel boxes joined with a bush and couplers, I didn't link the 2 with a bit of copper. He said I was wrong, he also said that the NIC man wants it done his way. I told him the NIC man was a dick who didn't know what he was doing (also implying the same about him)
We juiced up the circuit and took Zs readings, there was no difference.
Me 1, him and the NIC man 0

I had an argument at work last week with the senior spark on the job.
2 steel boxes joined with a bush and couplers, I didn't link the 2 with a bit of copper. He said I was wrong, he also said that the NIC man wants it done his way. I told him the NIC man was a dick who didn't know what he was doing (also implying the same about him)
We juiced up the circuit and took Zs readings, there was no difference.
Me 1, him and the NIC man 0

This is why I hate the NIC,

Not in the NIC, follow BS7671

In the NIC, follow BS7671 + some idiotic rules they think up!

Why's that mate? I realise that there's a belt and braces argument but if the conduit is mechanically and electrically sound and disconnection times are going to be met it seems like a waste of cable

True but around birmingham a lot of the sparks dont bother to tighten things up.

Everything is finger loose as one of them like to say:D

You can undo it with 1 finger:D

They want sacking then and they need to get someone in to do a proper job

Finger loose what a load of ---- that is

The whole job was a fk up.

3 floors.

Ground, first,second and roof plantroom

Different firm for pipefitters,electricians etc on each floor.

The ground were house bashers and the firms from first and second had to help them to get it done on time

Why's that mate? I realise that there's a belt and braces argument but if the conduit is mechanically and electrically sound and disconnection times are going to be met it seems like a waste of cable

more like "is a waste"

reminds me of just the other day when i went round after someone who said they`d carried out a visual and `identified` the installation had no R2....

ex council house...
so you know what i was going to say next dont you....

Hi Trev, yeah all the work we done was for local authority, Hospitals,schools when GLC run the show.!!, and it was in the spec, in fact it's never been a situation for me not to provide an cpc in conduit, weather it be black enamel or galvo, still can't see me having ever to thread or set again. lol

Reply to SWA into plastic cu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net