Swa/pvc cable size | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Swa/pvc cable size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not saying theres anything wrong with tables, just saying you dont use the 8 - 1 ratio

Only when i think there's a need to calculate. More a case i think, of getting used to the numerous installations of SWA cables on the bigger projects. You get, what i can only describe as an instinct or gut feeling that there could be a problem with a particular cable run. Most of the time, the cable will still comply, ....but Just!!! But still happy that you did the calculation to prove that it warranted that extra effort... lol!!!

I dont have johns chart, i use the manufactures info or GN8.

My earlier posts were trying clear up the fact that there is a difference between the copper equivalent for steel, when calculating for a cpc and for that of a bonding conductor.

Yes the requirement for a CPC is based upon the withstand capabilities of a material for a short duration at a high amperage.
Whereas for bonding conductors where PME conditions apply it is the withstand capabilities of a material for what could be very long periods at unknown amperages.

Chris,

I found this in the Sticky threads on this subject. It is the paper John Shepherd wrote that includes the table that Spin and i use a a good rule of thumb for guidance on the SWA CSA etc....

Using the armour of SWA.pdf
Anyone got acopy of the John Peckham table? Could do with seeing if thr one I've been given is correct.

Reply to Swa/pvc cable size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net