Tails or armoured? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Tails or armoured? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have job on to install a consumer unit, the problem is I'm unsure weather to supply the consumer unit with meter tails or an armoured.
the setup is the meters are outside on the garage wall and the consumer unit is on the other side of the garage fed in 10mm tails currently. The distance from the meter to the CU is abou 5 metres max.
Im going to put a 80amp switch fuse in the garage back to back with the meter, but I'm unsure on what would be best to supply the CU in.
i was either thinking maybe using trunking across garage joists enclosing 25mm tails or would armoured be more suited. The customer is using there own CU which ain't metalclad and the gap to fit the board wouldn't allow an adapt box to be fitted aswell.
so all I'm asking is would the meter tails in trunking be the best method or should I look for an alternative.
any suggestions from experience appreciated.

I found this bit of information thanks to Lee posting the BS number.

Extra checks needed for a BS 8436 Cable

When the basic overload relationship (above) is applied, virtually all cables are protected from damage by the fault current. However for BS8436 cables, contractors or designers must either read BS8436 in detail or follow the following advice when installing a BS 8436 cable concealed in a wall or partition.
The following guidance is relevant for 1.0mm, 1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2 cables only.

1. The cables shall only be used in circuits protected by a type B circuit breaker to BS EN 60898 or type B RCBO to BS EN 61009 with a rating not exceeding16A, 20A or 32A for cable sizes 1.0mm2, 1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2 respectively.
In both cases the circuit breaker must be energy limiting class 3.
This is because only these protective devices have a maximum current needed to operate them which does not exceed 80A, 100A and 160A in a time of one second, for cable sizes 1.0mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm respectively, and the let through energy is such that it will not thermally damage the cable.

2. The prospective earth fault current in the circuit does not exceed 5,000A. (This corresponds to an earth fault loop impedance (ZS) of not less than 0.048 ohms

Still don't see FP in there ;)

I suggest that you return to the page and re-read carefully.

Do you mean this bit?

Whilst many fire alarm cables to BS7629-1 employ a thin foil screen which cannot meet the nail penetration test given in BS8436 necessary to prove adequate protection, cables with a more robust screen, the same as used for BS8436 compliant cables, such as FP200Gold or FP PLUS are able to comply with the requirements of the nail penetration test and can be selected for such applications.

Where it clearly says that FP200 gold and FP plus are able to comply!

Well, it appears Lee is correct in that FP200 Gold and FP Plus meet the requirements according to that page, no mention of just FP200.

Whilst many fire alarm cables to BS7629-1 employ a thin foil screen which cannot meet the nail penetration test given in BS8436 necessary to prove adequate protection, cables with a more robust screen, the same as used for BS8436 compliant cables, such as FP200Gold or FP PLUS are able to comply with the requirements of the nail penetration test and can be selected for such applications.

No, I was thinking more about this bit:
Although one may question the necessity, ELV circuits are not excluded from the clause 522.6 requirements. In order to ensure complete compliance with BS7671, the same consideration needs to be given to all fire alarm cabling including the ELV circuits.

Reply to Tails or armoured? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net