Tesco's offering 4KW systems for £8495.00 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Tesco's offering 4KW systems for £8495.00 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

siwarry

It would seem the discounts have now started.. Just had a flyer through from Tescos saying that any system booked and fitted after the 12th December deadline will be offered a 25% discount meanting that their 4KW system is now only £8495.00

SERIOUS though is it worth competing !! how can u get kit plus survey/wind uplift calcs health and safety all that stuff (as in the BOOK) done ! then have buying power of tesco????????????? there is no way im going to do all this work! take all the risk of install/roof for next 5/10yrs for £1500 i think its OVER LADS(about 4months after it STARTED) for me:(

Don't forget though, a lot people will be seriously hacked off with tesco for promising installs and not delivering. We, on the other hand have pulled forward all of our booked installations and will - just - have them installed in time. OK, we're not going to make a fortune and we're definintely not competing with tesco but if we've been to quote where tesco have been before us we've almost always got the job even though we've been more expensive.

There is still a value to quality service and many of our customers will pay for that.

and what panels will they be using? the cheapest crapest panels they can get their hands on with their buying power. Thats how their opticians work (alledgedly!!) I have familly in the optical business (including within tesco).
Bear in mind what they do to the farmers and sub for them at your peril!!!
personally, I won't even try and compete, cheap rubbish isn't the market I am in.
I worked in the optical business (retail management and supply) for some years in the independant sector. the type of customers the multiples took weren't the kind of price driven customers we wanted. we offered quality products and services and the multiples bothered us not at all (apart from making us look good!!)
would you buy a £10000 technically sophisticated product that requires a high level of technical expertise to design and install from a supermarket, I wouldn't.

Did anyone take a look at the contracts to install for Tesco etall.I did out of curiosity from an email inquiry and you basically, organise scaffold, install and any issues with client, liaise with Tesco's middleman, take all the flak and none of the kudos, take all the liability, all the risk, all the MCS documentation, all the insurance cover, electrical certs, CRB check the whole shebang and for what?
a wage if that a basic wage..
Just who are the monkeys they have working for them? I simply laughed and said thanks but I couldn't answer for laughing.

when I was in an electrical franchise we looked at a contract with a well known supermarket chain (not tesco). there last 2 subbies had gone bust. we didn't take the contract.
The usual format with these companies is they shower you with roses, you upscale your operation until your commited to them, then they start to turn the screw on you. they don't care if you go bust, they just move onto the next guy.

just out of interest what were the rates like?

Number of PanelsTotal Installation Fee (ex. VAT)
1 - 8£1,200.00
9 - 11£1,300.00
12 - 13£1,400.00
14 - 15£1,500.00
16 - 17£1,600.00
18 - 23£1,700.00
24£1,800.00
For every additional 4 panels£100.00

Above prices to include survey, design, install and commissioning of system along with up to 2-storeys of scaffolding being provided by the Contractor per property. Any additional scaffolding requirements will be chargeable separately to the customer.

******* and Tesco Solar Timescales

The timescales for contacting Customers and completing Works are set out in the Residential Solar Installation Agreement, but for ease we have provided the following information for you. Where applicable, the definitions in the Residential Solar Installation Agreement are used below.

Customer Assessment Appointment Date
Unless the Customer is unavailable, the Contractor should book a date and time for the Assessment visit to take place within 10 Business Days of the date on which the Contractor is passed the Customers details via the 3 way booking process.

Solar Job Sheet Acknowledgement
The Contractor should acknowledge receipt of each Solar Job Sheet and Allocation Email by return email to ******* within 2 Business Days of receipt (allocations@*******energy.com).

Pre Assessment Call
The Contractor’s Assessor shall call or text the Customer to re-confirm the Assessment Date, and the Customer’s availability, 24 hours before the Assessment Date. The Contractor’s Assessor will provide the Customer with an estimated time of visit with the timeframe being no more than 2 hours.

Post Assessment information
The Contractor shall send to *******, within 3 Business Days of completion of an Assessment, a completed Solar Site Survey and scanned copies of all Assessment paperwork.

Booking an Installation Date
If the Customer agrees (“Customer Acceptance”) to proceed with Installation Works immediately after the Assessment, the Contractor’s Assessor must attempt to book a date and time for Installation Works direct with the Customer on the day. If unable to book an Installation Date while at the Property for whatever reason, the Contractor must (subject to Customer circumstances/wishes) attempt to book an Installation Date that enables the Installation Works to commence within 20 Business Days, but no sooner than 10 Business Days, of Customer Acceptance.

Pre Installation Works Call
The Contractor’s Installer shall call or text the Customer to re-confirm the Installation Date and the Customer’s availability, 3 Business Days before the Installation Date. The Contractor’s Installer will provide the Customer with an estimated time of visit with the timeframe being no more than 2 hours.

Completed Projects
The Contractor must telephone ******* while at the Customers Property one hour before the Works are due to be complete.
Within 3 Business Days of completion of a Project the Contractor needs to complete all obligations, and provide ******* with all completion paperwork, set out in the applicable Commissioning Checklist.

Please provide the following documents to *******.

• Provide copies of your REIGA, REAL and MCS certificates (to include PV and Thermal)
  • Provide a copy of your code of conduct for your assessors and installers;
  • Provide a copy of your final survey form and Risk Assessment Form;
  • Provide a copy of any guarantees and warranties in respect of the installation services;
  • Provide a copy of your after sales and maintenance agreements to be provided to the customer
  • Provide details/certificates of training and competence of installer staff, proving competence to carry out task i.e., Electrical qualifications, Plumbing NVQ, P.V. Courses.
  • Installer staff membership certification for appropriate person scheme i.e. NICEIC. NAPIT, Elecsa.
  • Provide a copy of your procedure for non-conforming materials.
  • Provide a copy of your procedure for Inspection & Testing, pre and post installation.
  • Provide a copy of your procedure for instrument recording and calibration schedule.
  • Provide a copy of your procedure for storage, handling, packaging and transportation.

• The terms and conditions for the supply of services for the initial technical assessment and installation as between you and the consumer;
  • Provide details of your data protection policy and security measures, particularly in relation to taking customer payments;
  • Provide a copy of your Environmental Policy;
  • Proof of CRB checks on assessors, installers and employees involved in processing customer’s payments. To be provided annually;
  • Your complaint management process;
  • Your technical monitoring process for completed works;
  • Proof of adequate insurance cover to include:
    • Employers’ liability insurance for the minimum amount of £5,000,000.00;
    • Public liability insurance for the minimum amount of £10,000,000.00;
    • Professional indemnity insurance, or the equivalent, for the minimum amount of £2,500,000.00 in respect of any one incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, thats taking the pee!!!
so they are too idle to even get themselves MCS assessed.
for all that agro I'd want a lot more than that, without the scaffold!!!

To be honest, that rate is surprisingly good. They can't possibly be offering that after the FITs cut though.

I'll bet that the Tesco designed systems are throw it in and hope jobs. If you pitch them up against a properly designed system I bet they would fail dismally.

I had a quote from Tesco two months ago: 4kW of Sharp 250 + Diehl 3800 = £12,500

So no, they were not using crap cheap panels then (crap expensive ones maybe ... )

This was to be installed by G A S World L T D - Bristol, and the above explains why they wanted to add an additional £268 to the scaffolding as technically up to roof level is three lifts and they wanted to make a bit more money.

Same firm also fitted for M&S from whom I had the exact same quote.

As said this was two months ago, which seems an age ago now!

Given that scaffolding costs are £500 for most 2 storey houses where we are that's not a lot of money to pay 2 roofers, a sparky, someone to assess the job in the first place (which isn't paid for if the job doesn't come through), design the job - (although I understand it's more of a "this is what we do what can we match with your roof" type approach) office admin, insurance and maintenance of MCS standards.

Our overheads alone cost us £500/job, pay for scaffolding @ £500 - ooohhh there's loads left to pay everyone and have a party too. A chimps tea party maybe :angry_smile:

I originally received a quote off Tesco's for a 4KW system 2 months ago to see how much they would charge, It was £11,000. Then realised that i wasnt dealing with Tescos it was a 3rd party company that then allocated a local firm to do the job...That means 3 companies involved from start to finish..

If anything did go wrong it would be the MCS fitter that would be 1st port of call then the intermediary then Tesco's. The flier i received came 2 days ago offering me a 25% discount which is actually £8250.00 bargain!

Scaffold quotes I had for my pv install on a normal gable-ended 2-storey house with clear access were £300 and £425 incl VAT and incl Handrails up the gable ends, both from firms I have used before for roofing/extentions.

The installer went with his own scaffolder who he said was less than £300.

Yep, if you're in an area where there's plenty of scaffolders and no work you might well get those prices, which would leave you with £500 ish to pay for installer costs. Its hardly a fortune when a roofer costs £150/day is it?

Unfortunately our scaffolders are the cheapest where we work so we'd have to find another £200 just for that.

Having though about it, the price of the scaffold does make the price look a little on the low side.

Who has the responsibility for the structural survey?

25 years is a long time, things like no structural survey can come back to haunt you, the margins are more than slim, the only winner is Tesco.

Reply to Tesco's offering 4KW systems for £8495.00 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net