tester trouble | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss tester trouble in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buttonmoon

Helo I'm fairly new to this testing so perhaps someone could explain this

My Fluke is giving off some quite varied readings. We we're doing some R1+R2 testing and when I tried to zero the leads it appeared to make no difference and then the circuit reading seemed to be going all over the place sometimes lower than the lead resistance, which incidentally was quite high I thought.

The tester is second hand and as yet uncalibrated. Do these symptoms seem to reflect a permanently broken device or is there still hope?

Readings ranged from about .5 to 1.5ohms.

That would be nice

not with you mate :confused:

I was suggesting that the batteries in your tester may be running low on power. They probably have enough power to switch the machine on but when you start running tests that use up juice, they could give false readings. Have you checked the batteries in your tester? Using another tester of course ;)

Switch the tester to "Volts" and you will see the battery test function on screen. Just press the function button next to the text F3 I think. The first thing you should have done is get it calibrated, cost about £65 inc collection and delivery. Give Certific8 a call.

Hi, I am new here (although personally I am rather old) and the sole reason is testers! Yes, I know, there are chuffing hundreds of posts about testers. I've just taken a second MF1502 for repair into Penine Instrumants in Sheffield. They cost about ~£650 each new I think and they have both been into Pennine or back to Dover for repair more than once. I am really ****** off with Megger, we've used them almost exclusively for 80 years, and the quality doesn't seem to be there. And, it is getting an expensive exercise to have the failed units sent back to Megger for a new spring to be fitted. The guy at Pennine sold me a reconditioned Fluke 1651 for £150 which will do for now, but I need another one at least. Anyone got a secondhand Fluke 1651 or a Megger 1552 to sell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am new here (although personally I am rather old) and the sole reason is testers! Yes, I know, there are chuffing hundreds of posts about testers. I've just taken a second MF1502 for repair into Penine Instrumants in Sheffield. They cost about ~£650 each new I think and they have both been into Pennine or back to Dover for repair more than once. I am really P"**ed off with Megger, we've used them almost exclusively for 80 years, and the quality doesn't seem to be there. And, it is getting an expensive exercise to have the failed units sent back to Megger for a new spring to be fitted. The guy at Pennine sold me a reconditioned Fluke 1651 for £150 which will do for now, but I need another one at least. Anyone got a secondhand Fluke 1651 or a Megger 1552 to sell?

Welcome to the forums,

Post your wants in the "For Sale & Wanted Section" also keep your eye out on EBay as that is where I got mine.

not with you mate :confused:

I was suggesting that the batteries in your tester may be running low on power. They probably have enough power to switch the machine on but when you start running tests that use up juice, they could give false readings. Have you checked the batteries in your tester? Using another tester of course ;)

I'd guess that he means that would be nice as in batteries are cheap repairs are not. :)

Thank you for that clarification Disco Dave and thank you for the battery test method. It says 6 AA next to the picture of a battery on the back which would mean 9v so the 4.4v I'm getting wouldn't be enough? Is that right?

Replace the batteries because 4.4v is way too low to operate correctly. AA batteries, depending on the equipment, can just about function in low demand equipment at 0.8v - and that is the state they are in now. Any big demand on power and they will die or the results will be unpredictable.

changed the batteries, zero function now works, f3 on volts (battery tester) now reads 8.5 volts but I am still getting widely varying readings on my r1+r2 readings. Could it be the fact that I only have a croc clip on one of the connectors and the point on the other is effecting the resistance? Also when I did the continuity test on the ring I got 0.49 on one of the SOs, a spur I think. If I multiply that by 4 is that my r1+r2 and if so isn't 2ohms rather a large result? When I used the plug connector to do the ring tests I got quite consistent results(.34) apart from what I assume is a spur. Calibr8 are collecting the thing on Monday so we shall see at any rate.

Hi all , I had a very similar fault with my Fluke tester, The problem was caused by a test lead. At first I suspected the fuse contacts or croc clip but the problem appeared to be where the wire was crimped internally to the probe. Replacing the lead cured the unstable readings.

Well this brings me nicely on to another issue. Where do i find fluke mft leads at reasonable prices??? I am not in possession of a full set and have only one set of crock clips.:(

I bought mine from sercal (usual disclaimer) They sell individual Fluke leads, less fused probe/croc clip, or a whole set complete.

Sometimes my megger tester gives some funny readings even thoiugh the battery icon says 50%, but after changing the batteries it is fine again.

Reply to tester trouble in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net