This one will bugger you lot up | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss This one will bugger you lot up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ackbarthestar

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
The supply comes in from small cable on the LHS, measurements for RCD/VOELB taken from the socket.

[ElectriciansForums.net] This one will bugger you lot up

What do you think the men in boots were up to?

Abuse freely available ......

yeah, true, still a temp board, the swa and gland must come together with fuse holder when they whack it from the wall. another end terminated by them builders.
at least there is a rcd and something that looks like an earth wire

i kind of like you ackbar! you know your stuff
that old voltage trip then the rcd
in actual fact you can just use the voltage trip as an isolater for onward stuff

You'll need to deactivate it first, by disconnecting the earthing connections to the unit. Maybe removing the yellow button too.
Then it'll make a perfect DP isolator, ...and all for no cost!! lol!!

If you de-activate the ELCB there will be no earth fault protection to the M/C CU and SWA armouring.....should be changed for an RCD.

edit....I seem to recall those old VOELCB's should have the supply in the top?

If you de-activate the ELCB there will be no earth fault protection to the M/C CU and SWA armouring.....should be changed for an RCD.

edit....I seem to recall those old VOELCB's should have the supply in the top?

So the old VOELCB will make a perfect point of DP isolation to enable you to fit an RCD!! lol!!

I think your right about the supply position too, but it's been an awful long time since i've seen or worked on one, to be absolutly sure!! lol!!

So the old VOELCB will make a perfect point of DP isolation to enable you to fit an RCD!! lol!!

I think your right about the supply position too, but it's been an awful long time since i've seen or worked on one, to be absolutly sure!! lol!!

Not this one ! we followed the instructions on the packet. However, we will try it the other way round since the crucial part are the earthing conductor terminations.

Really, ...So how are you testing this old VOELCB to prove that statement?? I havent seen a test kit for these units for around 30 years or so!!

The set up is for a TT system with either one or two 'twigs' - in this case a piece of copper pipe rammed into the ground
The control was a two way switch to simulate a fault at the 100mA RCD or on the armour protected by the VOELB.
The kit was Fluke 1653 RCD test

Got the picture yet ?

The set up is for a TT system with either one or two 'twigs' - in this case a piece of copper pipe rammed into the ground
The control was a two way switch to simulate a fault at the 100mA RCD or on the armour protected by the VOELB.
The kit was Fluke 1653 RCD test

Got the picture yet ?

Errrrrm, Frankly NO, ...Fine for the RCD, but not for the VOELCB!! The clue lies in the name ''VOLTAGE operated earth leakage circuit breaker''!!! Getting the picture now?? lol!! Both units have test buttons, but they will only confirm tripping, not measurable values, the same goes for your two way switch!!

Well i have been looking at this most of the morning, i agree to the thread title. But refrained from posting as i wasnt sure what you are testing. I know your post was ambiguous for a reason to generate some input. Now more info is to light i agree with Eng54..... I just dont get it sorry. :(

Well i have been looking at this most of the morning, i agree to the thread title. But refrained from posting as i wasnt sure what you are testing. I know your post was ambiguous for a reason to generate some input. Now more info is to light i agree with Eng54..... I just dont get it sorry. :(

make that 3.....whatever you are trying to prove goes over my head.

Reply to This one will bugger you lot up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net