thoughts please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss thoughts please in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

mcm

-
Reaction score
Hi all

Just carried out two EICR in the last two days and found some observations just wandering what others would code them at.

First EICR
6mm twin and earth cable for shower connected in a 45amp bs1361 = code 2
Shower not rcd protected = code 3
2.5mm twin and earth cable running into socket in roof space connected into shower isolator feed from bs1361 45amp = code 2
Down lights for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor in loft area sheath of cable short and insulated conductors on show = code
Light in bathroom a pendant and rose = code 3
Also no supplementary bonding to pipe work in bathroom or in airing cupboard = code 2

Secound EICR

No 30ma rcd protection to sockets in stable blokes on TT system feed from bs3036. Only has 100ma main rcd trip at mains would of thought extension leads wuld be plugged in to use outside = code 2
Main earth to earth stake cable clips have weathered and now is loose not supported down wall = code ?
Earth stake hasn’t got a earth inspection box on top so stake is exposed nor a do not disconnect label = code ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated I have looked at the best practise guide issue 3 electrical safety council and code the above.

Hi all

Just carried out two EICR in the last two days and found some observations just wandering what others would code them at.

First EICR
6mm twin and earth cable for shower connected in a 45amp bs1361 = code 2
Shower not rcd protected = code 3
2.5mm twin and earth cable running into socket in roof space connected into shower isolator feed from bs1361 45amp = code 2
Down lights for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor in loft area sheath of cable short and insulated conductors on show = code 3
Light in bathroom a pendant and rose = code 3
Also no supplementary bonding to pipe work in bathroom or in airing cupboard = code 2

Secound EICR

No 30ma rcd protection to sockets in stable blokes on TT system feed from bs3036. Only has 100ma main rcd trip at mains would of thought extension leads wuld be plugged in to use outside = code 2 ,
Main earth to earth stake cable clips have weathered and now is loose not supported down wall = code ? 3
Earth stake hasn’t got a earth inspection box on top so stake is exposed nor a do not disconnect label = code ? 3

Any thoughts would be appreciated I have looked at the best practise guide issue 3 electrical safety council and code the above.

same as you on most. my opinions added in red.

well pendant in bathroom does not say what zone but i assume its out of zone as i am guessing its on the ceiling..

supplymentary would maybe be code 3 as not required for 17th , but was for 16th, i would not say it was potentialy dangerous

but supp. bonding was required when no RCD for bathroom circuits. i'll stick with a code 2. as for the pendant, the rose might be out of zones, but the lamp probably won't, unless it's a big bathroom. in any case i'd code 3 it just for unsuitable for environment.

well pendant in bathroom does not say what zone but i assume its out of zone as i am guessing its on the ceiling..

whatever the zone , is it suitable for the location ? i'd say not.

supplymentary would maybe be code 3 as not required for 17th , but was for 16th, i would not say it was potentialy dangerous

its code 2 if all the circuits in the bathroom arent rcd protected.

;-)..............

external influences so yes ok for pendant
but code 2 for suppleymentary no , why ? because it is not potentially dangerous irespective of the rcd requirement
so code 3 IMO

wasn't there a thread where a woman was electrocuted from a "live" bath tap , recently? think that case was no RCD, no bonding.

supplementary is not required if main bonding is in place ,rcd is used and ZS values are met

can you say code 2 because code 3's dont get done ??

The dwelling is not rcd protected its a wylex board with BS3036 reliable fuses. That the reason I stated code 2.

no , we say code 2 because the potential for injury under fault conditions exists without supp. bonding in a bathroom that isnt fully rcd protected.
code 3 is reserved for crap like missing grommets , unmarked switch wires and other harmless stuff.

The dwelling is not rcd protected its a wylex board with BS3036 fuses the main bonding to gas and water is 10mm. That the reason I stated code 2.

not having an rcd does not mean it is potentialy dangerous though , if it was done to 16th ed then surely its just a code 3 IMO

not having an rcd does not mean it is potentialy dangerous though , if it was done to 16th ed then surely its just a code 3 IMO

now youre talking about just no rcd's
the issue is no supp bonding AND no rcd's in bathroom = code 2 under 17th ed guidlines

op said no suppleymentary at first so i said code 3
then no rcd came in to it but this is still code 3
same as no rcd on sockets , it does not meet regs but that dont mean its potentially dangerous
no rcd or supp well is that potentially dangerous?

op said no suppleymentary at first so i said code 3
then no rcd came in to it but this is still code 3
same as no rcd on sockets , it does not meet regs but that dont mean its potentially dangerous
no rcd or supp well is that potentially dangerous?

GOOD GRIEF !
its on page 12 of the current ESC coding guide , go and check if you wont believe me.

Q4. What Classification Code should be given if it is found that there is no supplementary bonding in a bathroom having extraneous- or exposed-conductive-parts, and the conditions given in Regulation 701.415.2 for its omission are not met?
Classification Code C2. Where the presence of supplementary bonding cannot be confirmed by inspection, it may be verified by a continuity test (< 0.05 Ω)

supplementary is not required if main bonding is in place ,rcd is used and ZS values are met

can you say code 2 because code 3's dont get done ??

No I don't say code 2 because code 3 will not get done I say code 2 because it is potentially dangerous.

Undar fault conditions if a person is wet the body resistance is far lower and their is a good chance of serious injury to a person.

Supplementary bonding is required by the regs for this reason Safety!

I understand when and where supplementary bonding is required but IMO even if you have all ccts RCD protected all extraneous parts connected to the MET and bonded and the diconnection times are MET it is still safer to have supp bonding in the bathroom !

I was explicitly told during my annual assesment about 5 years ago that all sockets with the possibility of external use shoud be protected by a 30ma RCD and if they are not I should issue a C1, and at what version of the regs did TT supplies not have a 30ma RCD covering socket outlets?

Reply to thoughts please in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net