TNS Supply in Garage then T&E to House! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss TNS Supply in Garage then T&E to House! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is the current set-up.

There's a TNS incoming to a detached garage, this is split from an old MEM fused isolator (the tails go straight in) and has a send to the CU via some 10mm T&E going under ground and up into the house. There's another feed from the fused isolator to another, smaller, fused MEM box for the garage supply.

The service head's in a right state, there was a bit of red tape round one of the fuses holding most of the plastic together. The DNO are sorting this today and putting a new bond on to their armour so I can improve the earth, but this is a right headache to get up to 17th.

So far as I can make out, I'm going to need to create a MET in the garage, put a distribution board in the garage, and have a SWA (with the armour bonded to the MET) distribution circuit put under the ground to the house, and then a new CU with the armour from the SWA as the main earth in to the house and create another MET for the gas and water bonding.

I'm not looking to get into the CSA's here, that's just maths, but does the principle meet 7671?

Anybody see any problems with this?

"Anybody see any problems with this?" - Yes, a few............... Just wondering how one would "create" an MET, I would normally just buy one and install it..one being the optimum number and two being too many.......I've lost interest sorry

Whilst the SWA cables armouring is going to be fine for the sub-mains CPC, it's not going to be suitable for bonding requirements, between the MET at the origin and the EMT at the CU. So you will need either a 3 core SWA or a separate 16mm earth conductor for the situation you describe....

Thanks Engineer54. I think the separate 16mm conductor sounds better than using the armour for bonding AND sub-mains CPC but it'll have to run underground so 3 core SWA it is. It's a weird set-up, almost like the builder wasn't sure where he was putting the house!

Reply to TNS Supply in Garage then T&E to House! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

Electric hob/oven range was installed years ago, runs on 2 x B32 MCBs to 'House' (sub)consumer panel, runs to oven on 2 x T&E. Kitchen is being...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why would the RCD fail … yes it can happen but then it may not. Without it you have no protection on the TT System
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back