Tradeskills4U Feedback Thread | Independent Reviews Good AND Bad (bad now!)

Discuss TradeSkills4U Feedback - The Most Recent Feedback Isn't Good! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Solutions
Reaction score
Please leave feedback if you've been on this course!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS FOR FEEDBACK RELATING TO THE COMPANY CALLED TRADE SKILLS 4U and NOT THE COMPANY CALLED TRAIN 4 TRADE SKILLS.

It has been a while since this thread was created to please do take a look at the latest threads. As they aren't good!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PAGE 5

Last edited:
Hi Guys, this is my first post and I apologise if I have done anything wrong.

I am severely in need of help and reassurance on the pathway I am aiming to go through to train to be an electrician.
From the rest of your post you seem to have done a lot of research on some parts but not others as for deciding your pathway into the industry only you can make that decision
The current chronological pathway I am looking to follow is:
-fast track C&G 2365 level 2 and 3 via Tradeskills4u link: C&G 2365 Level 2&3 Diploma Course Package | Tradeskills4u - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course
  • become a mate, then become an improver (become an improver as soon as possible, if possible avoid the mate step)
  • become gold card member through completion of NVQ3 followed by AM2 exam through a work based portfolio while working as an improver.
The route you are looking at would suggest more of a commercial / industrial bias in gaining experience and on the job knowledge as you don't get many if any mates jobs in the domestic sector as for improver jobs it is whether you are allowed the time and help to pick up the experience, on site knowledge and speed to keep you in work
I really need help from people in the industry as I have key questions:
  • from your experience in the industry, is it likely I will be able to get mate and improver employment following my fast track 2365 level 2 and 3 qualifications.
  • are there better providers for fast track 2365 courses in the south east? Tradeskills4u has mixed feedback
  • through this pathway, am I restricting myself to domestic electronics? In the long run I would like to do industrial following some time in domestic
  • importantly, does it make sense to do it this way!
As someone who has been in the industry since leaving school I have seen many changes in the training over the last 40 odd years, the fast track system is not a new idea it was around in the 70's and 80's with the government skillcentres that trained unemployed people to become electricians in 6 months and it is fair to say that some were good and got to be pretty good electricians while others would never make the grade, at the time the more seasoned guy's did treat them with some contempt on site and would not give them the chance or time to improve on their limited skills
Background: I have studied a degree in biological sciences and found that the type of employment I will get through graduate jobs just don't pay well, graduate jobs are near impossible to find, as well as the fact I feel the working environment for most of these jobs does not match me. I am looking to be an electrician due to an interest in electronics and wanting to work in an environment with problem solving on a daily basis, a well as a good outlook for long term growth in the sector.
If your looking for problem solving on a daily basis then you might be disappointed something that may be considered a problem early on in your career soon becomes just another bread and butter job and you look forward to a challenging fault find there is a sense of achievement when you report a fault to the DNO and they dig up half the street to fix it
The reason I would like to pay money to fast track the 2365 courses is that, being 25, I want to have a career as soon as possible. While I understand college is cheaper, as far as I understand, it will still take a couple of years just to get the 2365 level 2 and 3. Will this route speed things up for me?
So how do you see the timeline progressing from the fast track training into a fully fledged electrician, a fast track course will not get you a top wage straight out of the course as the training centre will not equip you fully for what you will find on site and it could take a couple of years or more to get there.
The fast track training these days IMO sets you up to pass an exam or 2 which does not necessarily set you up to be an electrician immediately, reading the course sylabus it would good if it was blended with some site experience and some post course support during the first few months of employment to fill in any knowledge gaps
I really appreciate any feedback you can give me. My family is not a trade family, I have no contacts around me who I can ask for help with this so I feel quite overwhelmed - especially in light of the investment that fast tracking the first two courses entails. End note: I understand that the fast track will be very full on but I am good at studying.
While not being from a trade family what if any practical experience do you have with tools and powertools, the selection and use of fixings and all the other engineering skills that the fast track course will not teach you it could be the longer route into the industry may be more beneficial to gain these skills while attending college

Whichever route you choose I hope it works out for you

Upvote 0
In these parts it's rare to find a mate on site. Generally you'll have an apprentice who's learning the trade if an extra pair of hands are needed.

In theory a first year apprentice of any age could be limited to the first year apprentice wage, but that would be down to the individual company and my experience of working as an adult apprentice was very different and it's not uncommon to pull down a higher wage than many graduates part way through an apprenticeship. Conversely, the best paid sparks earn of the basis of experience and ability - do you think someone fresh from a fast track course is going to hit peak earnings faster than an apprentice who has learned on site from day one?

You need to look at this from a different perspective if money is the prime motivating factor. Qualifications are an entry ticket, but ability is what determines how much you earn or whether or not you remain employed. Free rides exist, but those guys tend to achieve poor rates of pay and most companies will have an underperforming spark out the door after a short trial period. You could gain qualifications and hang out your shingle as a domestic spark, but that requires a wealth of knowledge that isn't strictly related to electrical work and it won't be fun having a customer looking over your shoulder when things aren't going as expected. Basically I'm trying to point out that this isn't a means of earning easy money and if the economy slows down competition for jobs will become fierce. It's a dog eat dog world that loads of tradesmen quickly exit when jobs aren't plentiful.

The opportunites are out there, but it's not a straightforward process. Lot's of people take the route you're looking into and come out the other side with a successful career, but many pay significant sums to learn and never manage to get beyond the classroom. If you're serious about this it can be done, but nothing will fall into your lap.
Thanks for this mate. I just logged back into this forum for the first time in a while and I've had a bit of a change in heart but this reflects the conclusion I came to. After doing quite a bit of research I decided these style courses aren't for me, especially in light of the money involved. The problem that I was trying to circumvent is that apprenticeships here are few and far between, and the cost of rent + rising living costs means I wouldn't be able to sustain myself so I wanted the fastest way of getting on my feet. I want to leave the uk and thought of it as a long term decision after getting qualified here and making a bit of money, however I learnt it's really not that easy to move to europe with british qualifications - especially electrical. I'm a german citizen (dual citizenship) so I'm likely enrolling in a spark apprenticeship over there for september 2025 with plans to move long term, they can speed up an apprenticeship according to performance there and they seem to have more demand for electricians than here with a huge amount of apprenticeships. I'm quite worried about my future in the UK so it seems like the right move. Just wanted to thank everyone who posted in the thread for their help with this process as you were a huge help during a very stressful time

Upvote 0

Reply to TradeSkills4U Feedback - The Most Recent Feedback Isn't Good! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net