TT to PME problem. | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TT to PME problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had UK power Networks round to test whether my TT earth could be changed to PME at my house which it is now. They told me all ok and get utility supplier meter engineer to connect up. Called utility company, they said we don't do that. Just get electrician in to connect it up. I pointed out that I belive it is illegal for us to touch supply head - silence on other end, but eventually again said we don't do it. Called DNO back and told them, they were not happy but said it's definitely down to supplier. Anyone else had this problem.

Usually always UKPN who have done it for me in the past, they are usually anything to do with the head, up grades and supplies

whereas the energy supply company only really deal with the meters

however i had a UKPN guy on a job i was working on a month or so ago tell me that basically do a l-n loop test on the incoming head, if its below .35ohms just pme it yourself!!!, from his lips!

He acknowledged that it was a nightmare for us to arrange it and a pain for them to come out and do it

i asked him about confirming the pme supply is availiable and hes said pretty much the w hole network is now PmE including most of the existing TNS supplies, as they now will not guarentee the sheath as a reliable earth any more

the only places that may be a problem are extreme rural locations

so there you have it, he also gave me a big pack of meter seals, top man :)

Nope not a ''Top Man'' at all, ....More like a complete and utter Plonker, ....and a Dangerous one at that!!

You go ahead and make your own DIY PME connections if you're really that daft enough. One things for sure, your so-called Top Man will deny any and all contact with you, if and when all goes ---- up and the **** hits the fan on one of your DIY PME connections.

To be honest Welchyboy1, i'm more than just a little surprised, at you actually listening to this idiot!!

Nope not a ''Top Man'' at all, ....More like a complete and utter Plonker, ....and a Dangerous one at that!!

You go ahead and make your own DIY PME connections if you're really that daft enough. One things for sure, your so-called Top Man will deny any and all contact with you, if and when all goes ---- up and the **** hits the fan on one of your DIY PME connections.

To be honest Welchyboy1, i'm more than just a little surprised, at you actually listening to this idiot!!

Most of the heads in my area will have a 'PME available' sticker on them...alternatively you can get confirmation from the DNO that PME is available at the property. With either means of confirmation I have no qualms at all about connecting it myself.

Lol, 'topman' was for the meter seals TBH, i have yet to carry out any PME connections myself, just maybe a little surprised how blase he was about it, they are usually really ---- about anything like that

but from what he said the only confirmation they generally look for about the suitability of a potential connection is a loop reading

I had UK power Networks round to test whether my TT earth could be changed to PME at my house which it is now. They told me all ok and get utility supplier meter engineer to connect up. Called utility company, they said we don't do that. Just get electrician in to connect it up. I pointed out that I belive it is illegal for us to touch supply head - silence on other end, but eventually again said we don't do it. Called DNO back and told them, they were not happy but said it's definitely down to supplier. Anyone else had this problem.

SSE here comes round makes a measurement and if possible the head will have the knockouts done to access the earth connection on the side and the screwhead. They won't make the connection(s) though, you have to do it!

We don't in my mpan area, all earth loop impendence tester's taken off us (measurement down to dno) , under no circumstances are we to connect the earth, will knock out cutout ready for the sparks to connect.

Which on the vast majority of heads involves needing to remove the cover plate to access the terminal block, which is in turn screwed down with the screw protected by the fuse carrier, which in order to remove means cutting the seals that you've just zealously put on it and everyone claims to be so precious that only the DNO can do it!

Madness rules.

Actually SSE use heads where there are knockouts over the terminal screws and entries for the cable.
If PME is available they knock them out so that the electrician can make the connection without tampering with the head.

Actually SSE use heads where there are knockouts over the terminal screws and entries for the cable.
If PME is available they knock them out so that the electrician can make the connection without tampering with the head.

I hope they can suggest that to WPD, then!! I get the distinct impression that the DNO's method of the day is largely defined by what was the cheapest deal to re-stock the shelves in the stores that week. I must have seen at least three different specs of split-con "nah mate, that's standard now, that is" in the last six months alone - Alu / Cu, Cu / Cu and Cu / Steel.

Which on the vast majority of heads involves needing to remove the cover plate to access the terminal block, which is in turn screwed down with the screw protected by the fuse carrier, which in order to remove means cutting the seals that you've just zealously put on it and everyone claims to be so precious that only the DNO can do it!

Madness rules.

I am talking about new connections , their is provision to access the met on new cut outs, plus self connect meters etc, no reason to cut seals.

SSE will even connect your tails to a self connect meter around here if the tails are there ready!

As I understand it Rockingit DNOs will generally have at least three different brands of kit in use so as to reduce the impact should a product recall be issued on any of them. But to be mixing and matching cable sounds plain daft

Reply to TT to PME problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net