Two core wiring with the same sleeve colour | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Two core wiring with the same sleeve colour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I like being able to identify strappers without having to read painted or plaster coated sheaths, but it's not something I generally use. Conversely every spark I know uses the stuff, but that's probably a good thing as none of them ever carry any sleeving that isn't green/yellow.
Brown & blue for switch drops is unheard of here (and incidentally expressly prohibited across the border).

Brown & blue for switch drops is unheard of here (and incidentally expressly prohibited across the border).

I wouldn't say it's unheard of, but certainly uncommon. There's no regulatory reason for not using blue/brown T&E on switch drops, provided conductors are correctly identified.

I didn't realise that ROI mandates the use of twin brown for switch drops - in light of that it's surprising the OP had never seen it before.

For the OP.
It is the norm for two (or all) blacks with one type of cable, and hence the 'belling out'/continuity as well as IR testing....pyro.

Apart from ripcord and maybe a speciality flat elevator type ribbon cable I've also never seen a cable with two identical blue wires. I highly doubt such a cable would be available unless it was a special order. I've seen cables that contain more than 1 black wires with numbers on them but the numbers only appear every 10 or 15cm along their length so you might not see them if you only strip a short section.

Reply to Two core wiring with the same sleeve colour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net