Unbelievable dressing! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unbelievable dressing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm in awe! Who needs a woman? This is what makes me orgasm!!!

Cat 6 amazing dressing and termination - YouTube

Seriously though, how on earth do people dress cables this well?!? What tools are they using?

If any of you on here are this good, present yourself to me now! I need to learn from you!

p.s. Merry Christmas! :)

Now this is the last load of cat6 cables I terminated. I thought I did a reasonably good job, nothing in comparison to what was shown in the video, but ok in my opinion.

View attachment 21907

Essentially, what you're saying in your above statement is that what is shown in the video is mediocre at best and anything less is crap. Makes me kinda upset to be honest that you're alluding to my work being rubbish and to me having poor standards.

That's not bad dude. Looks like you made an effort.

It looks like the best you could have done with the lack of containment at the cabinet.

(Containment by 'others' is the most oft repeated phrase i heard from Data boys, only beaten by '****' the sparks, espoused by EVERY other trade!)

That's not bad dude. Looks like you made an effort.

It looks like the best you could have done with the lack of containment at the cabinet.

(Containment by 'others' is the most oft repeated phrase i heard from Data boys, only beaten by '****' the sparks, espoused by EVERY other trade!)

Thanks bud. I think the point is, We were working to a strict deadline on that particular job and often are on most others. Someone else made a point of this also, I'd love to be able to dress cables as well as the dude in the video, but when time does not permit this, you do the best you can with what you've got.

It isn't the best job in the world clearly, but at least we bunched the cables and secured them at the point of termination, I've seen far worse, but to make out that anything less than what is shown in the video is the work of someone with poor standards is a bit cruel IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks bud. I think the point is, We were working to a strict deadline on that particular job and often are on most others. Someone else made a point of this also, I'd love to be able to dress cables as well as the dude in the video, but when time does not permit this, you do the best you can with what you've got.

It isn't the best job in the world clearly, but at least we bunched the cables and secured them at the point of termination, I've seen far worse, but to make out that anything less than what is shown in the video is the work of someone with poor standards is a bit cruel IMHO.

CBA to re-read all the posts to see who suggested that, but there's no job I have done the couldn't be done 'a bit neater'.

You have to draw a line somewhere. As I said, looks ok to me.

It's good, but then it's quite easy to deal with large numbers of identical cables coming from one direction, so in a way the data guys have it easy. That standard is harder to maintain when you have ten different sizes of cables, some pre-terminated, arriving from various directions at different phases of the work, and cable management hardware that only suits some of them.

I've got a rack to rewire at the weekend, where there's everything from armoured multicore fibre, single fibres, SWA mains, HDMI, HD coax, 5-coax multi, Tri-rated, Cat6, etc. And it contains critical systems that must not be powered down, but have to be moved and re-cabled piecemeal while running. It will be neat, labelled, everything will be secure, with re-termination loops, cables combed out where possible, but it won't be textbook standard because I can't afford the time.

As much as I like to do pyro art, preferably with bare copper because you can get a better finish on it than PVC oversheathed, I can't usually justify the time for that either now.

It's time that is the key factor then really isn't it. I suppose given the time anyone can make a panel's dressing look like the best thing since sliced bread. Although having said that, there's ok dressing, like the picture of the data cab I put up, then there's really good dressing, which is easy enough to do in any medium-large panel given a little effort, then there's impeccable dressng, like that shown in the video!

Dressing and terminating the cables in my data cab took one of my guys a few hours. To dress them really well so that none crossed over, maybe even cut a few squares of tray to retrofit into the cab maybe a days work?? To dress them as perfectly as those in the video maybe 3 days?! lol, even then I'd be willing to bet they still wouldn't look as good!

As it happens I was commissioning equipment in a new data centre and building last week. The fixed cabling is quite neat, not as good as in the first video. They used some sort of sleeving around the bundles, with velcro strapping. However they're guilty of one of my pet hates, intruding into adjoining rack space - in the node rooms the dressing of the fixed cabling droops below the patch panels, meaning it will put a lot of weight onto the equipment to be installed there.

Why do people do this? They had all the rack diagrams, but still feel free to occupy space clearly marked for a different purpose? Openreach were the same, installed a 3U 12 or 16 channel chassis, only used one of the channels - then installed six individual NTEs for other circuits instead of fitting cards into the chassis.

The security guys were the worst. They had two 3U appliances to install in each room, which they've put in with a 2/3U gap between the appliances, and for some bizarre reason they dismantled the rack and moved the front rails right back, making the rest of the rack unusable for anything else.

Tony S

That's a given seeing as most electricians only see MICC hanging of a toilet wall in a pub

lol, ...you could well be right there!!

See you're an Arsenal supporter too. My late wife was an avid supporter (bit of an understatement that!!) as well as is my Son, to the point where i used to have to go out, when a match was being televised. It was that or a throbbing headache for the rest of the afternoon / evening!! lol!!

use the spellchecker on "centre" then. and then try neighbour, alumunium, and a few others the stupid spell checker thinks we're in the U.S.A.

Is there a forum based spell check, then? I just rely on the Firefox add-on (in Anglo Queens English, not yankee rubbish) to point out my typos as I go.

More difficult than spelling difficult correctly apparently, and only slightly easier than using the spelling prompt to correct the apparently difficult spelling of difficult. :winkiss:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Unbelievable dressing!

Yawn....

When i was in my apprentiship, around 2005 we were building and installing control panels ans cabinets for glaxo smith kline in dartford. I spent 2 days making off and terminating 12x 40 pair cables only to be told it wasnt neat enough. Rip it out and do it again! I could have cried!

Thats how it should be mate, everyone has been there

Reply to Unbelievable dressing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net