Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently moved into a new house and had to reset the breaker after a bulb went. When I was crawling around with a torch, I noticed some cables (Red, Black, and Blue-ish/Green-ish) leaving the main supply and running into the wall without going through the meter or the consumer unit.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply

Is this normal? Is there a second meter somewhere? Shared supply?

New consumer unit was fitted about 2 or 3 years ago.

I haven't been into the foundations yet to have a look but I thought someone here might have an idea of what they are for.

Thanks.

Hi,All
That definately looks like the branch feed to next door by the DNO.
It is fused,due to the fact that it runs in a steel pipe.
Standard practice many moons ago,
If those cables go faulty,New set up now,is concentric cable connected unfused at bottom of cut out,under the cover.

Seeing those cables made me think someone already had! Growing some magic green herbs or running a crypto farm...

Joking aside, is it worth me getting someone to investigate this? I know nothing is 'wrong' with my supply but I don't what to be accused of stealing electricity or get a shock off the cables at some point in the future.
Yeah I’d definitely consider getting the DNO or the electricity board out to have a look.
also I’d look into having an electrician swing by for a gander and possibly an EICR (electrical installation condition report) because from the photo the installation looks poorly done especially with the hacked holes in the top surface of the fusebox
Edit; I’d definitely be acquiring an electrician to do a full in depth EICR based on the board and your later post.

Reply to Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net