Currently reading:
Unusual lighting wiring?

Discuss Unusual lighting wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. Today I was at a friend's house having a look at a couple of lights that weren't working (turned out that quite simply one of the neutrals had worked its way free in the first rose).

It was all too tight to see for definite, but I think the wiring was basically as per the drawing I have attached.

Could this be correct? In the "old days" was there a 3 core cable that was red/blue/black/yellow???

If so is this method common? I've only been taught loop in at the rose, or loop in at the switch (or JB method) so it's been a real headscratcher to try and work out.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-06-30 at 20.34.41.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 49
Ah OK. So it's possible there was a red/blue/black/yellow?
There was 3 core +e cable in common use ('phase' colours of the period) pre 2006. I've used it, but personally not come across 4 core +e with a black as well. It makes sense though for colours of the time.

IMG_0625.jpeg
PS The 4 core existed as SWA as well
IMG_0626.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never seen anyone use the middle terminal of a ceiling rose as a joint for the second switched line feeding the second light. It's not conventional and at first glance quite confusing.
Really? I've tended to work mainly in houses with large rooms (farmhouses), and have often used the middle terminal for just that in bedrooms with two main lights.

Really? I've tended to work mainly in houses with large rooms (farmhouses), and have often used the middle terminal for just that in bedrooms with two main lights.
Yes , I was going to say , have done this multiple times myself and also seen it done existing by others, it's handy for keeping number of cables down in locations where routing of cables is difficult , it's also pretty straightforward to work out what's going on, with a bit of basic testing, even if you have never seen it before. Additionally, can't see the black core in the '3 core' in the OPs drawing , so just standard old skool colours really...Is it really 20 yrs since the colours changed? makes me feel old..

Yes , I was going to say , have done this multiple times myself and also seen it done existing by others, it's handy for keeping number of cables down in locations where routing of cables is difficult , it's also pretty straightforward to work out what's going on, with a bit of basic testing, even if you have never seen it before. Additionally, can't see the black core in the '3 core' in the OPs drawing , so just standard old skool colours really...Is it really 20 yrs since the colours changed? makes me feel old..
Hi mate. TBH the drawing above was done a few hours later from memory so I could very well be wrong on the colours. What were the old skool 3 core colours?

Hi mate. TBH the drawing above was done a few hours later from memory so I could very well be wrong on the colours. What were the old skool 3 core colours?
I think the drawing is probably correct without the extra black..old colours are as above, Red, Yellow, Blue corresponding to the current Brown, Black, Grey (L1,L2,L3) although confusingly that image shown by @Avo Mk8 is not quite right methinks..!

I think the drawing is probably correct without the extra black..old colours are as above, Red, Yellow, Blue corresponding to the current Brown, Black, Grey (L1,L2,L3) although confusingly that image shown by @Avo Mk8 is not quite right methinks..!
Go on - you've got me - what's not right? (apart from 'flexibale' 😂, and cpc now apparently being insulated g/y!)
I just looked for a quick illustration to reassure the OP there was nothing unusual about the cable. You can't believe everything you find, but tbh I hadn't spotted a problem 🤔

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Unusual lighting wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net