Validity of old qualifications | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Validity of old qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Despite having read the forum posts for months now this is my first post so apologies if its an old question or posted in the wrong place.

Anyway I qualified as an in 1980 having done some HTEC certificates as part of a 4 year apprenticeship. However, rather than stay on with my company I went full time and finished a HND in Electical Engineering. Since then I have left the industry to work on project management blah blah but have always kept up to date and always anticipated returning some time.

However, here's the question I am told that my original qualifications don't count for my and that I would have to start all over. Can anyone confirm this and help me understand it as I clearly don't mind updating but to just ignore everything I completed seems a bit odd.

Other than that great site guys and the info shared in your posts is welcomed and a credit to the trade

TumbleDNA

Hi everyone,

Despite having read the forum posts for months now this is my first post so apologies if its an old question or posted in the wrong place.

Anyway I qualified as an in 1980 having done some HTEC certificates as part of a 4 year apprenticeship. However, rather than stay on with my company I went full time and finished a HND in Electical Engineering. Since then I have left the industry to work on project management blah blah but have always kept up to date and always anticipated returning some time.

However, here's the question I am told that my original qualifications don't count for my and that I would have to start all over. Can anyone confirm this and help me understand it as I clearly don't mind updating but to just ignore everything I completed seems a bit odd.

Other than that great site guys and the info shared in your posts is welcomed and a credit to the trade

TumbleDNA
well that sounds like the biggest load of old cobblers....
and also sounds to me like someone might be jealous...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glennspark. It got me upset a bit as well I don't think there was much at the time to touch a 4 year apprenticeship - but I probably would say that!. Thing is, I'm not sure what I need to do next to get back in the trade in terms of catch up courses or who I should check - maybe some of the registration bodies

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glennspark. It got me upset a bit as well I don't think there was much at the time to touch a 4 year apprenticeship - but I probably would say that!. Thing is, I'm not sure what I need to do next to get back in the trade in terms of catch up courses or who I should check - maybe some of the registration bodies
well...i`m not the person to really ask as I dont hold a HND....so its not for me to cast judgement...or anything else for that matter...but i would say that you seem to be OK with that HND....

IMO, all you need is 17th ED. wiring regs. 2394/5 would be advantageous but not essential. it's the same bloody electrickery we has in 1980, nothing's changed except updating of regulations.

edit: oh, and a silly change of colours to "harmonise" with other nations who don't use them colours anyway. and supply voltages are now 400/230, but really they're still 415/240.

So that makes you what, 49?
Are you looking to work as a spark and get away from management or just get a JIB card?
Its not entirely clear where you are going, what you are asking TD.

Boydy

IMO, all you need is 17th ED. wiring regs. 2394/5 would be advantageous but not essential. it's the same bloody electrickery we has in 1980, nothing's changed except updating of regulations.

edit: oh, and a silly change of colours to "harmonise" with other nations who don't use them colours anyway. and supply voltages are now 400/230, but really they're still 415/240.
nothing wrong with a bit of make believe from time to time Tel....

oh. one other ting. meters now have done away with the mnoving needle. they now use something called digitalis, which apart from being poisonous, environmentally disastrous, also reads volts when there's nothing there. a bit like a brain scanner for a plumber.

nothing wrong with a bit of make believe from time to time Tel....

Thanks for all the views guys, luckily I managed to keep up with the colours and was one of the first to get a fluke - wish I still had that strangely.

back to an earlier post I'm a bit fed up with management (especially for others ) at this point so am thinking of getting back and run my own business but will need to be on the tools as well though. Probably want to cover commercial as well as hous bashing when it comes around

As with most things, qualifications are only one route to demonstrating competence. If your really rusty, get on a job as a mate, til you find your feet again. To be honest though, i reckon a trade is like riding a bike. You'll never fully forget.
I would get yourself on a 2382 course, and consider doing the testing quals too, as I'm guessing the testing wasn't really a requirement when you were on the tools.
Good luck matey.

Thanks for all the views guys, luckily I managed to keep up with the colours and was one of the first to get a fluke - wish I still had that strangely.

back to an earlier post I'm a bit fed up with management (especially for others ) at this point so am thinking of getting back and run my own business but will need to be on the tools as well though. Probably want to cover commercial as well as hous bashing when it comes around

The ironic thing will be if you do have to get a NVQ level three type garbage "qualification" you will be the most qualified person in the college in all probability, including the tutors.

To dispel any lingering doubt on the validity of your qualifications, and in particular your HND, check out the IET and CIBSE institutions qualification path to becoming Chartered. There you will find that Engineering Degree's and higher National diploma's etc, actually carry more weight when gained before 1999 (or around that date) than those gained after.

The ironic thing will be if you do have to get a NVQ level three type garbage "qualification" you will be the most qualified person in the college in all probability, including the tutors.

I know this will the most irritating part of it. Whilst reading the forums and in a moment of nostalgia just managed to find my old certs:

Got a GO3 in electrical fitting
JO2 in maintenance and installation 1
JO" in maintenance and installation 2

Dont know if these ring a bell with anyone? I'm going to call a few organisations tomorrow to see if they count for anything

Hi mate and welcome
was your old Quals 2360 or 236 either way as tel says jsut 17th edition and a Inspecting and testing qual if you want to or need to brush up in that area plus helps prove youer competence, not sure but if your old quals will probably mean you dont have to bother with a NVQ lV3 for the JIB card sort of like grandfather rights plus the old apprenticehsips were the best way of getting qualified unlike the modern courses so they deffo talking out there rear

Contact the JIB and they will tell you what you need to do to apply for the card explain what quals you have and she will tell you what you will need you may have to do a ECS H&S test also, the NVQ exempts you for 5 years from taking the test as all this is covered by completing a NVQ lv3 recently, at least thats what the JIB told me a JIB card will get you on any site or show your competence as an electrician If you jsut want to get started doing domestic then contact either ELECSA, NIC, Napit BSI or stroma
ELECSA will probably tell you you will need to get the 17th edition qualification C&G 2382-12 in first year but you need a understanding of the regs and be able to answer questions on and also the building regulations that apply to electricians especially this can be self taught from a Book called Elecys guide to building regs
or by downloading all the building regs in pdf from government website or are proably on this forum be able to complete certifiates have calibrated Test equipment equipment , 2 million PLI and he will look at all you paerwork and you have relevent literature such as BS7671, OSG, PART P document, completed certs for the jobs you have done he will then follow you to look at the job you have to show for assement give him the guided tour he may ask you to remove a switch to look if switch wires identified look at CCU see if all labels present ask you to carry out some tests and thats it if alls wel yo pass get an A awarded and off you go
commercial you can do without being registered with anyone but if you want to get more work proably best then registering either with ELECSA & ECA or NIC and instead of Domestic Installer only go for approved contractor status

anyway good luck in your endeavours

Hi mate and welcome
was your old Quals 2360 or 236 either way as tel says jsut 17th edition and a Inspecting and testing qual if you want to or need to brush up in that area plus helps prove youer competence, not sure but if your old quals will probably mean you dont have to bother with a NVQ lV3 for the JIB card sort of like grandfather rights plus the old apprenticehsips were the best way of getting qualified unlike the modern courses so they deffo talking out there rear

Contact the JIB and they will tell you what you need to do to apply for the card explain what quals you have and she will tell you what you will need you may have to do a ECS H&S test also, the NVQ exempts you for 5 years from taking the test as all this is covered by completing a NVQ lv3 recently, at least thats what the JIB told me a JIB card will get you on any site or show your competence as an electrician If you jsut want to get started doing domestic then contact either ELECSA, NIC, Napit BSI or stroma
ELECSA will probably tell you you will need to get the 17th edition qualification C&G 2382-12 in first year but you need a understanding of the regs and be able to answer questions on and also the building regulations that apply to electricians especially this can be self taught from a Book called Elecys guide to building regs
or by downloading all the building regs in pdf from government website or are proably on this forum be able to complete certifiates have calibrated Test equipment equipment , 2 million PLI and he will look at all you paerwork and you have relevent literature such as BS7671, OSG, PART P document, completed certs for the jobs you have done he will then follow you to look at the job you have to show for assement give him the guided tour he may ask you to remove a switch to look if switch wires identified look at CCU see if all labels present ask you to carry out some tests and thats it if alls wel yo pass get an A awarded and off you go
commercial you can do without being registered with anyone but if you want to get more work proably best then registering either with ELECSA & ECA or NIC and instead of Domestic Installer only go for approved contractor status

anyway good luck in your endeavours
Carl...the industry is awash now with Electrical Trainee and them that dont want to spend the time going down the more productive route.....
but all this has been said already in here....

Without wanting to sound to smart---- about it I did kinda feel that having come across some of the lads who had been pushed through much shorter training to get qualified. its not there fault as there's only so much you can cover on a short course but you do notice the difference

2382 sounds a good start as your right you don't forget a trade and I've stayed involved in and around it for years. Testing qualifications is interesting though as when I qualified you didn't have a separate testing qual - it was just part of your electrical work not a big deal really but time change

2382 sounds a good start as your right you don't forget a trade and I've stayed involved in and around it for years. Testing qualifications is interesting though as when I qualified you didn't have a separate testing qual - it was just part of your electrical work not a big deal really but time change
you may find this unchallenging and dull though....

Possibly but it doesn't feel as though thee is much choice if my quals don't get let me so much as change a socket. Looks like I will be hitting the phone tomorrow to talk to JIB and others
but its all about competancy mate....
if someone can just waltz in off the back of one of them short courses....then go round installing and just learning the very basics as they go about it then surely someone who holds the quals and previous experience that you have said here can more than match these chancers....
like its been mentioned here already the 17th edition course would be a way back in....
dont think you need to worry about what anyone says...or thinks though.....you just carry on doing what your doing....thats all that matters....

Reply to Validity of old qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net