Wago push in connectors | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wago push in connectors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

The official line from WAGO....

Quote: " you are currently correct, when using the WAGOBOX with either our 222 or 773 Series connectors they are classed as maintenance free. However new regulations are coming out which Connexbox (who manufacture the WAGOBOX - www.wagobox.com) will have to adhere to comply with the new regulations. At the moment they are working on these and we are just waiting for confirmation. So until 1st Jan when the new regulations come into practice the WAGOBOX can be installed as a maintenance free enclosure.

We will keep you up-dated on the development of this situation.

Hope that clears things up guys..........

The official line from WAGO....

Quote: " you are currently correct, when using the WAGOBOX with either our 222 or 773 Series connectors they are classed as maintenance free. However new regulations are coming out which Connexbox (who manufacture the WAGOBOX - www.wagobox.com) will have to adhere to comply with the new regulations. At the moment they are working on these and we are just waiting for confirmation. So until 1st Jan when the new regulations come into practice the WAGOBOX can be installed as a maintenance free enclosure.

We will keep you up-dated on the development of this situation.
Hope that clears things up guys..........

Not really, No!! Your still quoting the ''Man From Del Monte'' He and his company can class the wago's and the boxes ''maintenance free'' all they want, ...It still doesn't make them officially classified as Maintenance Free. That can only come from an official body like the IET etc... The sooner they get these connectors officially classified the better, everyone will then know, what they can be used for and what they can't!!!

I still wouldn't use them in CU up-grades/changes to extend existing cables. They would look the pits and not professional looking at all. Crimped and coloured heat shrink connections every time in that and similar situations....

Gotta agree with engineer 54 on this , unless an official body states they are maintainence free we cant officially assume they are.....

Also wouldnt us them for extention etc,...would be a mess with boxes everywhere, plus , crimps dont allow access by the typical diy'er ....an look more pro, and more water/moisture resistant.

According to the ESC Maintainance free will be recognised by the symbol MF printed on the item this is new so may well take a while to filter through still prefer access mind maintainance free or not

The symbol MF is for maintenance-free 'accessories'.

Look at the (v) above that. "Joints and connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained"

I am talking about ''Official'' recognition, Not a bit of salesman patter!! They can say what they like, and often do, but it doesn't make the connectors officially recognised as ''Maintenance Free''....

Engineer54 & Topquark, you were both right & I apologise for my misleading statement earlier in this post.....

The 'maintenance free' approval has not yet been given, as the box doesn't carry the MF stamp.... it does seem as if it is about a paperwork exercise to gain approval rather than any shortfalls in the product but this was the official reply from WAGO...

Within IET's new amendments of the BS 7671 they do recognise "Maintenance Free", we are in the process of getting all the relevant paper work together to ensure that WAGO and Connexbox comply with the new amendments.

BS7671 526.3 (vi) "Equipment complying with BS5733 for a maintenance free accessory and marked with the MF symbol and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions."

"Equipment" from the above statement means the enclosure and the connectors together, the enclosure will show the MF symbol not the connectors.

We are still in talks with Connecbox and once we have further information regarding this, we will let you know.

This can also be seen on the Hager (Ashley) junction box (J803 and J804), which is maintenance free and contains our 862 Series connector.

If there are any updates on this, I'll post them up as I get them,

Regards

So how do you guys interpret 526.3 (v) Joints and connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained

To me that says the joint or connections made in equipment by the manufacturer (the Wago connectors) and not intended to be inspected or maintained (Wago don't intend for the connectors to be inspected or maintained)

The real problem is with WAGOBOX. The wording in BS7671 is in legal speak so they have been avoiding this issue by arguing semantics. However, BS 5733 uses plain english and states:
11.1 Accessories shall be so constructed and enclosed that thereis protection against accidental contact with live parts when theaccessories are correctly assembled or mounted and connected fortheir intended purpose. Live parts shall not be accessible without theuse of a tool even after the removal of parts which can be removed
without the use of a tool.
(if you think this is more onerous than BS7671
412.2.2; 412.2.2.1; 412.2.2.3416.2.1, 416.2.2; 416.2.4 - i would like to hear your reasons why.)
As the WAGOBOX can be opened without a tool or a key and the cables can be removed without a tool or a key they can not say it complies with MF and BS5733.

The best option is to use WAGO connectors but with an enclosure that does comply!

I agree, apparently they are better now! Hmmmm.

There bigger too, The main problem now is that twisting too hard and it's so easy for you to snap a conductor core without knowing it. leading to a high resistance joint.

Go look at the American Utube electrical video's, you'll see these nasty things just about everywhere in every back box. Don't forget, Yank back boxes are around 2 to 3 times the size of UK or European back boxes. Ours just don't have the room to include these things.. Anyone thinks these things look like a professional joint, i really do feel sorry for you.... lol!!

Reply to Wago push in connectors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net