What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regarding the fixed partition -
The shower has no basin, therefore zone 1 extends to 1.2 metres from the fixed water outlet and further out from the partition (there is no zone 2)
as shown in the diagram on page 243 of the wiring regulations:

[ElectriciansForums.net] What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work?

701.55 Current-using equipment -

In zone 1, the list of permitted equipment includes ventilation (fans), but not washing machines and tumble dryers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@HappyHippyDad are you at this job on behalf of trading standards etc, or is it because you have flagged up something or was there already?

I'd be very wary of getting involved in this, as a minimum check your Indemnity Insurance. Post #20 from @Rockingit has all that needs said about it though.

Personally if it was me, I'd pass on it

Another grey area with the regs….

Since when does a domestic shower have a “fixed” water outlet?
Ok, some do, but the majority are on the end of a flexible hose and can be orientated all ways.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not.

Why have I just noticed someone wearing glasses in the OP picture?? 🧐
I swear they weren’t there before.

Ok, some do, but the majority are on the end of a flexible hose and can be orientated all ways.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not..
I thought exactly this! Wonder if IET will ever put a note there about WHERE the fixed point is in relation to showers with hoses and not fixed heads? Some will argue the FIXED point is out the bottom of the shower unit (excluding hose and head), some will save it's at the shower head itself and should include the shower head and hose - this in effect will destroy the 2.25m limit on Zone 1 as (and I'm sure we've all done it as kids; if you point thr head at the ceiling, you can easily 'make it rain' by saturating the ceiling and enjoying the raining effect 😅.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not.

Why have I just noticed someone wearing glasses in the OP picture?? 🧐
I swear they weren’t there before.
The fixed water outlet appears to be the drain, not the shower head. See the picture I posted in #26.
From the actual regs book...

I'm sure we've all done it as kids; if you point thr head at the ceiling, you can easily 'make it rain
Your mother must be so happy with you….

The fixed water outlet appears to be the drain, not the shower head. See the picture I posted in #26.
From the actual regs book...
A drain is not an outlet… unless your plumber isn’t very good.
Many shower trays have their drains toward one corner rather than central anyway.

That’s why I said it was a grey area.

Your mother must be so happy with you….

A drain is not an outlet… unless your plumber isn’t very good.
Many shower trays have their drains toward one corner rather than central anyway.

That’s why I said it was a grey area.
Ok let's call it grey but apply your own engineering judgement; in that absence of any guidance, what is your engineering judgement telling you? The regs say we can call on it so do.

Reply to What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net