what card reader is best | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss what card reader is best in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AJ Boyd

Thinking of buying a mobile card reader for easier payments from customers.
I saw the pay leven reader at screwfix and have read varying comments about it from bad customer service to extra charges from your bank for foreign settlement, because pay leven use a foreign bank.
Now looking into other card readers like world pay and intuit.
Do any of you guys have any recommendations or bad experiences?

Streamline (worldpay)
Never had any problems with them, we use the "pay as you go" mobile card reader.
money always in bank 2-3 days later and charges are always correct.

The 2 issues I foresee:

1. Very patchy mobile coverage (if any)
2. Charges per transaction

Fix those 2 points and it may make sense!

The 2 issues I foresee:

murdock you forget but you get charged with any card readers, even the ones in shops etc.

the difference is they just absorb the cost, just add that % on top of your price for the convenience of paying by card.

murdock you forget but you get charged with any card readers, even the ones in shops etc.

the difference is they just absorb the cost, just add that % on top of your price for the convenience of paying by card.

Yup, a very valid point - now we need 3G coverage for the whole of the UK. lol

The 2 issues I foresee:

I've never had problem yet with signal and we use the very poor coverage provided by EE...
Charges are only a few pence for debit cards and we put 3% on top of invoice for credit cards.
You also get to take payments over the phone when you are by you computer.
The system is a must have if you do call outs and the like.

Good points murdoch
I can get a signal 90% of the time.
I was thinking of adding the cost of transactions into the quoted price if the customer states they wish to pay by card. Most of my customers pay by cash or bank transfer anyway, so I think I'll only be using the reader on the odd occasion as a backup or if easier for the customer to pay me and pay up their credit card monthly for the work done.
Cheers.

Reply to what card reader is best in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net