What goodies have you found under the floor? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What goodies have you found under the floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Reaction score
Did a partial re-wire last week for a friend who lives in a 1900s house (lights wired with rubberised cable!)

Found about 20kg of lead pipe under the floor when jemmying up boards... Thank you very much, that will make a few quid at the scrappy!

That a normal sort of thing to find in an older house?! I don't have much dealing with pre-1950s properties...

Anyone got any stories of valuable things found under floors and in lofts?!

found a dead cat that had been cut in half lengthways under a floor in burnley and under the floor of a local school I found a stone ink jar and a childs exercise book,the book was lying face down and open,when I looked at the date on the open page it was 100 years to the day of the day I found it,spooky.

[ElectriciansForums.net] What goodies have you found under the floor? Serious vodka habit under a floor in port sunlight about 2 years ago!

I love wandering around old buildings. We have parts of our pumping stations and treatment works down here that are abandoned and locked up. If doors are open, it's nice to wander about and have a nosy!!

Anyone here ever go to the abandoned hospital near Taplow in Berks? Gone now but was very cool (and spooky!)

View attachment 17082 Serious vodka habit under a floor in port sunlight about 2 years ago!

they all look like recent ones in the last 20 years as I see barcodes on there, somebody must have been hiding them from a relative or something....

I remember when Barcodes came in back in about 1989, before that they used to key every price into the till in the supermarkets...

Found £400 in a bank bag under a carpet on a council rewire. We handed it in just incase it had been 'planted' but i strongly suspect current tenant knew nothing about it and it had been there years!

what does it mean when you hand in a couple of hundred pounds found on the ground in town without any ID to the plod and you get a note 4 months later saying "gratefully received" on it.......does that mean it became beer money? there was a story in the news about £300,000 odd going missing from a "storage site" a while ago...

Found a rubber cable joined to a pvc cable.(power circuit)
wires twisted together.
strips of WOOD separating l-e and n-e.
not a lot of tape covering joint.

And no I'm not joking......

I found an old wooden handled screwdriver jammed behind a DB i was replacing on the ground floor of an office block in a shipyard in Glasgow one weekend, it was in perfect condition. When I happened to speak to an old maintenance spark the next week who was just about to retire, he told me about how he had been working on the top floor of the same building 35 years earlier and dropped his new wooden handled screwdriver down the back of the DB down the riser and he spent two hours looking for it never found it and was amazed when I gave it back to him.

I always stick my head under the boards regardless of what I'm actually doing. Nothing of interest yet, just the usual old papers (apparently diesel Renaults of the 90s ran quiet), smoke packets and for a change pie boxes

The most interesting thing I've found is loads of old cotton insulated cable in it's original wooden ducting. I had a good rummage around to see if I could find anything else but nought, keep hoping I'll rewire that place one day and will delve deeper

Reply to What goodies have you found under the floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back