What is this? Faulty component | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss What is this? Faulty component in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve come across a Faulty bathroom fan which is linked with the bathroom light, went up into loft and the equipment in the loft is what is faulty. Power getting to it, but not passing through.
No switches on it etc etc, it’s a blanked off backbox.

Picture attached below

Thank you in advance

[ElectriciansForums.net] What is this? Faulty component

Not necessarily DIY, some cheaper SELV fans come with that crap as their SELV source.
I’ve seen Vent Axia fans come with transformers the same as in the OPs picture!
I remember the older fans came as a proper front unit that could mount into a flush double box.

It was 12v Transformer, Ive just popped out and bought the same fan which comes with a new transformer (me being a retarded, should of just looked first before coming on here!), changed the back box so its correct, wired in the new 12v and replaced the fan, its working again

Just a thought here, was the old transformer covered with the loft insulation? If it was, this may have led it to overheating (judging by the melted cover) and failing.

Hi,

I’ve come across a Faulty bathroom fan which is linked with the bathroom light, went up into loft and the equipment in the loft is what is faulty. Power getting to it, but not passing through.
No switches on it etc etc, it’s a blanked off backbox.

Picture attached below

Thank you in advance

View attachment 47235
Often these transformers are fitted with a not visible thermal fuse connected in series with the primary winding. Check the primary for continuity, it should have a resistance of the order of several hundred ohms.
The thermal fuse is not replaceable as it is buried under the primary winding, unless you fancy rewinding the primary.

Is that plastic lid on the RHS of the photo warped because of heat damage? The plastic on the transformer also looks overheated to me. I'd bin it and buy a new one and mount it in a vented enclosure rather than a sealed one.

Reply to What is this? Faulty component in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

• Question
And exciting when that Hager AFDD finally tripped 😂
Replies
Views
nicebutdim
N
I don’t see an rcd here. Is it elsewhere, supplying this board? It looks like it’s in a garage… is there excessive moisture getting into...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back