What qualifications do you have and where are you now? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What qualifications do you have and where are you now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

miramo

Hi,

I wanted to know what electrical qualifications people have, the courses they did and what part of the industry they went into. With no clear one way to get into the industry, I wanted to really know if I am taking the right path and the route others took. I am coming from an IT background changing my career, currently contracting and am doing.....

Passed my second year 2357 (evening class)
Done the 17th editions regs
Intend to start my nvq for my 3rd year in sept and have found lots of practical work for it
Also want to do my inspection and testing which was the 2391 but has now changed but want to complete it all within the next year.
mayb another course or two after that like photovoltaic or design, but thats miles away...

Ideally my goal, I want to work mainly in commercial but staring out will be domestic as well to build up.

Does this sound realistic? What paths did you all take and where in the industry do you work now? Work for yourselves? Or for someone else? What sort of money can be earnt working for someone else or for yourself....
look forward to replies

Retired, what better qualification?

Are there are things I would have done different?
Yes they are!
I was offered the chance of studying for charted engineer, I turned it down!
(Long story but newly married)

All in the past now.
My qualifications don’t even have a C&G number, the C&G was a baby then!
I qualified originally under The Union of Lancashire & Cheshire Institutes.

E54 will tell you what the last two weeks of the academic year was like. Exams every other day.

I’ve been learning and trying to teach ever since.

Teaching someone how to teach is hard work, but I’m qualified in it.

Retired, what better qualification?

Are there are things I would have done different?
Yes they are!
I was offered the chance of studying for charted engineer, I turned it down!
(Long story but newly married)

All in the past now.
My qualifications don’t even have a C&G number, the C&G was a baby then!
I qualified originally under The Union of Lancashire & Cheshire Institutes.

E54 will tell you what the last two weeks of the academic year was like. Exams every other day.

I’ve been learning and trying to teach ever since.

Teaching someone how to teach is hard work, but I’m qualified in it.
Tony...
you know i hold you in high regard....your knowlege is a blessing to anyone who cares to ask....
and i repect you enormously....
i think i`v said enough now....

I started in a peanut factory, farting in the bags just before they were sealed.

Then moved to the docks to bend the bananas with a bending machine, to the correct angle.

I put bending machine on my cv and ended up on a building site installing/bending conduit for 5 weeks, err sorry, 5 years then they gave me a nice JIB card.

Boydy

Standard conduit is a mates job. Only the tricky bits needed an electrician. That wasn’t very often.

BTW, Dave my mate would blow any DI Electrical Trainee out of the water.

Due to the companies strict payment system, try as I might I couldn’t get him full tradesman’s rate. (Nothing to do with the JIB, we despised them!)

This Electricians forum is obsessed with qualifications, I have worked with electricians rambling on about there mountains of expensive gained paper work and I've found that most of these guys are all just talk. When it comes done to an employer who needs the job done up to standard and on time, they know who they want. As my father used to say papers are important for wiping your ares :)

This Electricians forum is obsessed with qualifications, I have worked with electricians rambling on about there mountains of expensive gained paper work and I've found that most of these guys are all just talk. When it comes done to an employer who needs the job done up to standard and on time, they know who they want. As my father used to say papers are important for wiping your ares :)

I was starting to feel under qualified.
Have C&G parts one and two, and the 17th.
But more importantly I have 35 years experience starting off as electrical fitter and progressing into installation.
Worked on most types of installation from one bed bungalows to Buckingham palace to shop fits and factory installs.
Currantly working for a mate who takes anything on. Busy fitting out shops for a certain coffee retailer which is good work.
Not sure how much longer ill be doing this for. Got a major op in two monthes time which is going to be life changing to say the least. Can't afford to retire so might be looking for an easier day job. Hey perhaps alarm fitting. :) lol

So you’re an unqualified oik.

Business address:
The end of the bar
Queens Head
High Street
XXXXXX

I have a degree in business studies (not a very good one), I am a scuba diving instrutor, Grade 5 classical guitar, qualified RGN (nurse), Part P, and got my ducklings swimming badge aged 5.

I dont like business studies, gave up diving years ago, still try and play the guitar during the periods when my nails arn't broken due to clever, intricate, electrical type stuff, not too keen on nursing but it pays the bills and love the electrics!!! Charge £20 p/hr to people I like and £25 p/hr to people I dont! :smiley2:

Reply to What qualifications do you have and where are you now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net