What size cable would i need! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What size cable would i need! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jasonwills

I have recently purchased an old farm house and i'm presently renovating it. There is no electricity supply and i have had quotes from different suppliers, they are all really expensive. I do have a pole mounted transformer in one of my fields about 600 meters from the house and was thinking i would run armoured cable underground to it and build an outbuilding for them to house a connection. Do you think that would be possible, and if so what size cable would i need to use to acheive that! Thanks, Jason

It will propbably not be possible as this is the distributors territory and they don't usually like anyone playing with their toys.
Further mate, if you're asking this question it indicates a general lack of knowledge about other things which would be vital to the correct completion of a job like this and the safe operation thereafter.
I respect your willingness but some things are not what an enthusiastic amatuer should get involved in, please note I'm not trying to pee on your fireworks here:)

the Difference in cost of you doing trench and supplying cable and them doing the full job is negligable from what my gaffer got quoted for a job he had a wee while ago Yes build a housing but remember that you will need enough room for meter cablehead switchfuse ect It would be easier to get meter and cable head mounted inside the house

Thanks for replying, i'm a bricklayer by trade but do put my hand to most things on any project i am wotking on, including carpentry, plumbing and recently elecrical. The cheapest quote i have had from suppliers is £35,000, surely as the transformer is already on my land i could lay the cable, as that is the biggest chunk of the quote, i wasn't thinking of trying to connect it, just lay the cable thats all.

one of my client's recently had a similar situation. pole 400 yards away, on his land, no transformer. he dug trench and then DNO charged £15,000. be worth your while to contact them and ask for a quote assuming you will dig the trench.

just out of interest, do DNO pay you rent for running their supply across your land?

one of my client's recently had a similar situation. pole 400 yards away, on his land, no transformer. he dug trench and then DNO charged £15,000. be worth your while to contact them and ask for a quote assuming you will dig the trench.

just out of interest, do DNO pay you rent for running their supply across your land?
Old Jack Bunn..( a neighbour of mine)...he dont mess about with em....charged the phone company once for running overhead cables through his land....and he got the DNO to supply his outbuildings for free n all......it was either that or the DNO rerouted their supply cables round his property.....he dont arse about doesn`t old Jack.....

No they dont pay rent, so that is an angle, thank you. You say your client got charged £15,000, did they dig the trench and lay the cable?
my client dug trench, but DNO supplied and laid the cable. funny bit is though, the cheeky buggers charged him for the 400m of cable, but it's still their property.

possibly the transformer may not be big enough either,we have an excellent relationship with our DNO at work but when we needed a new supply they said we could have 250 amp three phase max and beyond that we would have to pay for a sub to be put in.we have overheads crossing several of our fields and get paid for them being there and also for any crop damage if they have to work on them.

You may find that there is a wayleave in place to cover the overheads in your field, have a word with the DNO! 600m is a long way for an underground cable at LV, your quote may be for a new pole mounted transformer closer to the building

Where are you based?

Out of curiosity I thought I'd have a look in the books for this one...

Even in best case scenario the voltage drop for a 95mm2 cable (biggest in the OSG table!), 600m long is 30V for 100A...

Last edited:
That transformer on the pole in his field, may well not be a distribution transformer, but a buck and boost (can't think of the correct term lol) unit to step up the voltage... Can't think why they would install a distribution tranny in the middle of a field!! lol!!

PMR = Product Market Regulation or Profoundly Mentally Retarded

OYT = Off Ya Tree or Okay, Your Turn

If you're going to use acronyms, use internationally recognised ones.

The international acronym dictionary came up with a brilliant one for PMR, but I’m not been banned again.

PMR = Product Market Regulation or Profoundly Mentally Retarded

OYT = Off Ya Tree or Okay, Your Turn

If you're going to use acronyms, use internationally recognised ones.

The international acronym dictionary came up with a brilliant one for PMR, but I’m not been banned again.

It does sound very clever, not a bloody clue what it means though.

Reply to What size cable would i need! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net